Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edens crush acans???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edens crush acans???
    Posted: December 04 2012 at 7:14pm
I bought some edens crush acans about 6 months ago. They were doing great up until last month. Even sprouting new heads. Now they seem like there causing away slowly. Everything else in the system is fine even my other acans. I've tested my water numerous times and everything is in check. They were place about 5/8 the way down from the light and this is in a 14g BC. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 10:09pm
What kind of light do you have and how old are the bulbs?
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 11:04pm
What are your water params like salinity. Cal, alk, mag and temp?
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 12:47am
The lighting is the stock pc's but the bulbs are maybe 5 weeks old so pretty new. I will have to do a test tomorrow and post results.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

The lighting is the stock pc's but the bulbs are maybe 5 weeks old so pretty new. I will have to do a test tomorrow and post results.
Although this may be pure coincidence, from your posts the problem started occurring about 1 week after you installed the new bulbs.  I've done some reading about rainbow acans in particular and they don't seem to like much light -- I've read from some people that claim they start losing their color, etc., when they are getting more light than they want.  Do you have any other acans of the same type that are about as close to your new lights as these are and how are they doing?  If your older bulbs were getting old and you suddenly put a lot of new light on them, that could be the problem .. or it could be something else!
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Although this may be pure coincidence, from your posts the problem started occurring about 1 week after you installed the new bulbs.  I've done some reading about rainbow acans in particular and they don't seem to like much light -- I've read from some people that claim they start losing their color, etc., when they are getting more light than they want.  Do you have any other acans of the same type that are about as close to your new lights as these are and how are they doing?  If your older bulbs were getting old and you suddenly put a lot of new light on them, that could be the problem .. or it could be something else!

Interesting i have never heard that, i have some Fort Knox that are loving it like a foot below LED's. I havent seen them lose color, although maybe they would be more colorful, if i put them somewhere where there is less light. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 2:17pm
I have high intensity LEDs in my system, and I can't keep Acans alive at all. I've tested my water and scratched my brain for months because I love Acans. I have Trachs, Favias, Candys, Scolys, and other LPS that are super happy. But Acans in particular hate my guts.

Everything in my tank is perfect, so I've had issues with Acans relating to what I can only assume is lighting as well, and can confirm they are picky!

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I have high intensity LEDs in my system, and I can't keep Acans alive at all. I've tested my water and scratched my brain for months because I love Acans. I have Trachs, Favias, Candys, Scolys, and other LPS that are super happy. But Acans in particular hate my guts.

Everything in my tank is perfect, so I've had issues with Acans relating to what I can only assume is lighting as well, and can confirm they are picky!

Pete, How do you scratch your brains? Sorry for that hijack

I have 3 different Acans in my 28G nano with LED's and they are doing well. I have to put them all low toward the sand bed or they are not happy.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 1:23pm
Acans like dark dirty water. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 6:36pm
I have rainbow acans in my 14 bc they are at the top of the tank and I'm using leds and they look awesome.
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

Hey Pete what type of LEDs do you have, i have LEDs over my 120 and my acans love the light, there maybe at the middle of my tank though.
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic