Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Tang with Ich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
soda507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soda507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Tang with Ich
    Posted: December 05 2012 at 1:50pm
I have a small yellow tang that has a pretty bad case of ich and its not getting any better.  It has been 3 weeks now and still covered with ich.  Most of my fish died as a result of ich with the exception of a green chromis and my yellow tang.  Research on the internet just turns up various ideas but no real informaion on what to do to fix this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 2:34pm
What are you tank params?

soda507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soda507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 2:51pm
I am still fairly new at this, but I belive you are asking for Ph etc.

Ph - 8.2
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate varies between 20-50

46gallon Bowfront with 14k led lights.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 3:15pm
I had. My hippo tang with ich as well I use a uv sterilizer, dose with ich attack(which is reef safe), feed mysis with garlic as well flakes and pellets, soak nori in garlic and I got a cleaner wrasse as well. Within a month all ich is gone and there have not been signs of it since the

Edited by Dan9554880 - December 05 2012 at 5:33pm
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 4:00pm
What else is in your tank besides the fish?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 5:07pm
Ich is a parasite called "Cryptocaryon irritans". It's like your dog having fleas. Your dog will always have fleas until you kill them, regardless of how well you feed the dog, how much you give him toys, etc. Some dogs can tolerate fleas better than others, and sometimes conditions are just right for the fleas to absolutely take over. But...the fleas are still there no matter what.

There are no "ich-killing" in-tank treatments that are reef-safe. You can try boosting the fish's health through nutrition, reduced stress, etc., but that won't change the fact that the parasite still exists. If you want to save the fish, you'll need to treat them in a separate hospital tank.

What size tank is this? Age? Your nitrates are quite high, and this could've induced stress that lowered the fish's immune system.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 5:30pm
Is the tang still eating?
also what is your temperature?
If the tang is still eating that it a good sign. A lot of fish will stop eating when stressed.
If you can keep your tank params good and stable  and you feed with garlic and keep the tang stress free it should pull through just fine.
How old is you set up and what kind of filtration do you have? there may be something causing the Nitrates and this might be what is stressing you fish 
soda507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soda507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 7:12pm
The tank is about 6 month old, I upgraded from my first 20 gal tank. I have several corals in the tank doing very well. I do believe I caused a great deal of stress to the fish while searching for a missing Jawfish which turned into a rockscape overhaul. I use a canister filter due to space under the cabinet and I have an HOB circulating and helping with oxygen. Both of my fish are still eating good, but the tang just looks bad. I do have a QT but I am afraid I will really stress the fish trying to catch them.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 7:50pm
Sometimes is better to treat them inside the dt instead of the QT. I used ich attack which is reef safe and won't hurt corals or inverts. Also feed nori with garlic and get a uv sterilizer
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 8:34pm
You've already said that all your fish but these two have died due to Ich.  You have a QT tank - why not use it?? If you don't get rid of the Ich in the tank, this is going to be an on again off again problem forever for you.  Your tank may not survive even if you leave it in the tank.  I'd pull them both out and put them in your QT tank and keep all fish out of your display tank long enough for the ich cycle to pass. 
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 9:16pm
If you can get the fish out without stressing them I would say go for the Qt tank, But if you can't i would just feed good and try to keep those nitrates down.  Also If you can run a Uv sterillizer.
What was the size of the tank?
soda507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soda507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 5:57am
The tank is 46 gallons
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 11:07pm
Prevention is usually the best cure but trying to completely eliminate the Ich parasite and keep it out of the tank is a lot of trouble and practically impossible. For practical help, see the link below and look for the Tip I called something like "Secrets of adding new fish and the miracle of Garlic Oil"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic