Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MrsZion's first tank.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsZion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsZion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MrsZion's first tank.
    Posted: December 08 2012 at 10:12pm
This is my first Reef tank. Its a 29 gal with a 15 gal sump. My husband is in the sport and i completely despised it at first  ( as i explained in the "introduce yourself" section of the forum.) I had no idea how much actually goes into creating a reef tank.The aquascaping was a complete nightmare in itself. I tried so hard to get it the way i wanted it. I never accomplished what i thought was to be the perfect set up, but i still like it all the same.Smile I  was so frustrated I didn't take as many pictures of the actual set up as i wanted to lol. Here's some of the highlights of my nightmare. ( i was about ready to can the whole idea and leave this hobby to the professionals.) 
1. We had originally gotten another tank without all the necessities, it was also smaller. I had it all set up and aquascaped when my husband found my current tank. I was frustrated then to have to start over!
2. Where we decided to place the current tank was a mistake. Water splashed into the wall outlet and blew our breaker. We moved it to a safer place lol
3. One of our pumps had a short and my husband got electrocuted. 
4. Water was leaking out of the ball valve ( one of the original seals were bad ) and it flooded the floor.
5. The return pump went out after everything was all set up. Had to run to the store and buy one, it was not planned in our budget. 
6. The skimmers pipe broke, so we had to replace that as well. Thanks for the good deal Mr.Grey!

It was a horrible ordeal however we still saved money in the end thanks to JDSKIDAWG.

I am happy now about how things are going. 
Heres some pictures..

This was me attempting to aquascape before the water was clear. It had a small 6wat LED light on it, temporarily so i could see what i was doing.  

This was the final stage of aquascaping. 

Heres my sump.

Front shot, everything on the sandbed getting used to the LED's. ( i tried to melt my flowerpot on accident) 

Slanted side shot, with a few more coral

My little black clown, His name is Korben, Korben Dallas LOL

This is the evil Zorg

This is the flamboyant Ruby Rhod

This is General Munro ( he is my little quail fish) thats what i call him lol 

My sponge ( Thanks BILL!!!) 

My hammers, trying to bring the poor things back to life.

Waiting for them to get thier pretty pink color back

Well thats it so far!!! I am super excited, sorry about the picture quality my phone sure isnt the best lol... Thanks for looking!!!!

Edited by MrsZion - December 08 2012 at 10:26pm
Jessie
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 8:15pm
Looking good! 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
MrsZion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsZion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:16pm
Thank you! I am hoping the corals colors start coming back in the led setup. They seem to be liking my tank so far, my torch has already split and everything else is opening up beautifully. Other then my poor mushroom, it landed on the torch and melted. 
Jessie
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 6:37am
Sounds like a bit of chaos, and a lot of mishaps..... But in the end the tank looks like it is developing well with a surprising amount of good locking livestock. Well done.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
MrsZion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsZion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 9:52pm
Thank you, its already had its first big cycle as well. I also had good fortune with my little black Clown, Bill said he wasn't sure if he was a black clown or a saddle back. ( Hoping he is a saddle lol ) I would love for her to keep her orange face its adorable. She lets me hand feed and nibbles at our hands when we adjust the corals! I was worried about placing that much Coral into a new tank ( back up plan was to put it in my husbands if it didn't work out. ) But it seems to working out great. I would like to add more " Flowy "  corals to the tank eventually, like some xenia   ( I call them feather trees lol ) I plan on a wave maker later on to add to the display of those fun types of corals. I am not pushing my luck any further though, I am done adding anything new for now. Unless i find a baby Mocha clown :)  I will let my semi aggressive Cardinal go to a new home if i can get my hands on one.  
Jessie
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 10:16pm
Free xenia, come over any time.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 9:18am
Its looking great! There was alot of stuff happening at first! electrocution, blowing out a breaker, leaks and floods,.. melting mushrooms hahah but all in the end (well kind of the beginning actually) it looks great
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 9:33am
Your large coral at the front right of your tank (flowerpot?) looks like its in the shape of a teddy bear!
MrsZion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsZion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 9:55pm
It did Molli! Before my husband took the bottom piece for his Pico lol. Its actually a Pagoda cup if i spelt that correctly. Thanks TFM!

Edited by MrsZion - December 11 2012 at 9:56pm
Jessie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic