Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tonys new frag tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 4:35pm
Looking good for sure!

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 7:11pm
We just finished the biopellet reactor. This thing works better than any others I've seen!

Edited by laynframe - October 06 2013 at 9:43pm
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 7:12pm
Still learning. What does a biopellet reactor do?
Try, try, try, then give up!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 9:22pm
Basically the reactors are used to build bacteria colonies that help lower amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. There's more to it than that but that's the basics.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 9:28pm
Whats the difference between a reactor and say bioballs?
Try, try, try, then give up!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 9:52pm
The reactor tumbles the bio pellets. The difference between bio pellets and bio balls is huge. Bio pellets feed bacteria colonies and allow you to have bigger colonies of good bacteria that help remove ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Bio balls allow colonies to build on them but can't sustain bigger colonies because the colonies only get as big as the food available.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 9:59pm
I'm still learning to, so take this with a grain of salt:

Bio balls are just plastic balls that attempt to give you increased surface area for bacteria growth, bacteria that help turn ammonia into nitrate.  Because they are plastic, all the surface area is what you can see with your eyes.  The oxygen content in the water that the bioballs are submerged in prevents from growing the bacteria colonies that can breakdown nitrate into yet other chemicals.  The best way to get a lot of surface area in an extremely low oxygen to oxygen free environment is a deep sand bed and huge pieces of live rock.

But if you do that, it is difficult to move the water through huge pieces of live rock and through deep sand beds.  Not to mention the positives and negatives to deep sand beds are hotly contested.  Some people opt for plenums, which I hear wonders about, but don't know much about them.

The bio pellets are little buggers that combat the phosphates in the tank - I don't know that they help clean anything else out.  Not that they don't, I just don't know.  Eventually the agents that soak up the phosphates or other ill desired chemicals are saturated and you have to remove them.

Like I said, I'm learning as well, so take that with a grain of salt.

The quality of your acrylic skills is out of this world.  I am seriously impressed.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 10:27pm
Here is a pretty good article about bio-pellets.

Premium aquarium filtration!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 10:13am
You also have to run a good quality skimmer as well. I have a elite aquatic come skimmer I will be using
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:23am
I'll be darned. Bio pellets are designed to do carbon dosing which helps fuel bacteria capable of removing nitrates from the system.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic