Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stringy algae? (Possibly hair algae)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringy algae? (Possibly hair algae)
    Posted: December 20 2012 at 2:51pm
My tank has been running great for years but in the last few weeks this algae appeared and has slowly started to take over, I scrub it off with a toothbrush as best I can but it just seems to come right back. I've checked all my levels everything is great. I did a water change a couple weeks ago because my salt levels were running high. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
-Zach-
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 3:09pm
Yeah, i have noticed this too in mine.......
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 3:29pm
Algae blooms are often seasonal. There are all sorts of equipment and additive you can buy to help reduce it but a toothbrush and patience works just as well. Oh and increasing your clean up crew is always a good measure as well.

Edited by Sculpin - December 20 2012 at 3:30pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 3:35pm
What do you recommend for a clean up crew? I know some hermits and snails are better than others. Ill keep attacking with the toothbrush also.
-Zach-
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 3:52pm
More snails than crabs. Get 1 snail per gallon.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 4:28pm
clean it off with a brush then leave your lights off for a few days. make sure you have something running to suck up the nitrates and phosphates you'll have with the algae dying.
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 9:08pm
One more question. I've been scrubbing if and got some clean up crew going to to town in it. I need to shut the lights off but will shutting my lights off for 2-3 days effect my corals? I've changed filters daily after scrubbing the algae off and my protein skimmer is picking up tons of stuff. Any other suggestions and answers on the coral/light situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
-Zach-
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 9:42pm
I've had my lights off with corals for 3 days before with no problems.

Edited by Dionysus - December 22 2012 at 9:43pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 2:49am
Your corals will be fine.. just make sure you tank levels are good and your not fluctuating them at all. That will help for sure. Also, vacuum your sand! that's one of the biggest reasons I believe I've had so many issues with my tanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic