Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanna Instrument testers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanna Instrument testers
    Posted: January 08 2013 at 9:45pm
I am thinking about getting the Hanna Instrument alkalinity and calcium testers. Has anyone used them or have them?

LINK

Edited by bstuver - January 08 2013 at 9:46pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 10:31pm
Just got my Phosphate Hannah checker to closely monitor levels and strive for levels around the 0.05 ppm range as this is where(after research)corals look the best and grow the fastest with natural formation and skeletal strength. Faster growth can be realized with a slightly higher PO4 but the skeleton of the stoney corals will be weak and break easily when higher PO4 numbers are kept long term. If I test lower I will increase nutrients by feeding heavily up to 5 times a day, and if I test higher I will turn up exporting of nutrients.

Edited by Teknik777 - January 08 2013 at 10:37pm
220 G SPS Display.

Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 10:39pm
Read the directions all the way through. It took me a few times but after you get the hang of it I got the same reading multiple times. I would like to get others but to test frequently would cost more. I will just stick to Red Sea for the big three. I test ALK more than other parameters.
220 G SPS Display.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 10:56pm
I just hate reading the dang things and going through all the steps. I wish there was a mag one lol. I only plan to check a lot at first and then once I am back in full swing will slow down.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 8:19pm
I have the Hanna PO4 and love it. I use red sea for the others.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 6:55am
I have a PO4 and Alk tester.  Both have been very accurate compared to titration tests.  I've been very happy with them and don't have to count the drops.  The PO4 requires you do dump in a pre-packaged powder and it's important to get it all in the vial without spilling it.  I shake it to get the powder out of the corners and off the bottom edge and cut off the top, fold one edge and dump it in.  I then rip open one side which allows me to free anything stuck in the corners and dump the rest in.  You need to shake it gently to get it to mix, then you have a give it three minutes to react. 

The Alk test is just measuring and adding 1 ml of test solution to a vial of your tank water.

Love mine and it allows me to test more frequently than I would if I had to do a drop test (because I'm lazy).

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 10:17am
I have the Phosphate, Calcium, and Alk versions and love them. tons easier to use the the vials or strips. The pinpoint /monitor probe for nitrate is nice too. (Why can't my apex monitor this stuff?)

@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
SirReefsAlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirReefsAlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 2:52pm
I have calcium, alk and phosphate. There are still multiple steps involved but it is less ambiguous than standard testing. I would say they are worth your piece of mind for determining absolute levels but don't get them if you want to reduce time. There is really no guesswork reading colors and such so that is the best part, you get an actual number. They are a little pricey but I've been happy. By the way, the RSM 130D I bought from you is still kicking, gone through some changes but still around. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic