Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sump plumbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rob Lemmon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sump plumbing
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 12:35pm

I'm thinking of building a sump and was wondering if anybody know how to plumb it in order to keep the water level constant.  I don't want to buy the wrong pump and destroy it, or my floor.  I want to do a gravity feed to the sump, but need some ideas on how to correctly built the return system.

thanks

Rob Lemmon
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 12:45pm

Sumps are, by nature, self leveling as long as you gravity out of the tank into the sump.  Whatever you return from the sump to the tank displaces the same amount of water back to the sump.  Evaporation will cause the level in the sump to slowly drop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:11pm
that will work for a sump located underneath the tank?
Rob Lemmon
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:30pm

Yes.  Within reason (there are limitations on the tank overflow), it does not matter what size pump you attach to your sump.  Step back and look at the process...

What happens when the pump stops?

Now what happens when the pump starts back up?

The tank level is FIXED by the overflow weir, so it's essentially just a fat piece of pipe.  When the pump stops pumping the water from the tank stops flowing too and vice versa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:53pm

Thanks Jon.  Now that I take a sec to think about it, it makes sense.

Rob Lemmon
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 8:05pm

Rob,

I will send you my article with diagram about this if you ask for it via email.

[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic