Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brs 2 part dosers vs. ca reactors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brs 2 part dosers vs. ca reactors
    Posted: January 11 2013 at 4:38pm
hello guys! ive been reading a lot of threads on here of why its important to dose so im going to give it a try. Only question is what methods better. Something like brs 2 part dosers or a ca reactor?? whats better, easier, safer, ups and downs of either methods and where do kalkwasser reactors come in on this?. any input is greatly appreciated!
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 5:18pm
I two part on my system but it's not very big so it's not that difficult. On a larger system with lots of SPS's reactor would be the beter way to go, IMHO.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 5:38pm
It really depends on the system and its demands. I have 4 clams and tons of SPS in a 66 gallon tank, and run a calcium reactor (I know it sounds like insanity...). I love not having to dose two part any more and I don't have to mix kalkwasser anymore. Once the levels are adjusted right and the calcium reactor is set properly I don't have to worry about my calcium or alkalinity levels very often. I originally was going to go with two part dosers, but didn't want to have to refill the two part often, since with my tank's demands it would be often and expensive quickly.

So in my opinion here are the basic advantages and disadvantages to a calcium reactor...

Advantages...
-Set and forget system
-Maintains calcium AND alkalinity
-Large tank capacity (calcium/alkalinity demand)
-Can be fully automated

Disadvantages...
-Pricey!
-Uses CO2 (tank in stand, and refills needed eventually-lasts awhile though)
-Cannot adjust calcium separate from alkalinity and visa versa

And as far as my research goes as I have no experience with automated two part dosing, here are the basic advantages and disadvantages to dosers...

Advantages...
-Automated delivery of your choice of buffer/additive/etc.
-Each can be controlled individually (can adjust calcium and alkalinity separate from each other)
-Less expensive initial cost

Disadvantages...
-Reservoir needs to be refilled when additive is depleted
-Cost of maintenance (refilling two part)
-Can handle large SPS tanks, but requires large amounts of two part (expensive!)
-Requires a separate timer for each doser (if each is to run for separate times)
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 6:45pm
well i have a 120g and just a handful of sps frags as i tend to favor LPS a little bit more. Its a good sized tank but not much sps in it. thoughts?
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:22pm
Well, I'm the new guy here but since you asked...I dose Kalkwasser in my ATO and every few weeks check my levels and slowly bring them up as needed.  I use the homebrewed two part and have been happy with it.  The kalkwaser handles most of it for me and a bit of two part and magnesium every couple of weeks takes up the slack.

Now if you have a lot of SPS with high dollar coral you would probably want to go with a reactor or dosing pumps to uniformly add your chemicals.  That way the levels stay very stable.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:37pm
I love my brs dosing setup. I can't imagine ever doing anything else. FYI it is super cheap to make the solution and I have a sps dominate tank. The only thing you have to buy from brs is cal cl and mag cl then you can buy arm and hammer baking soda and bake it for the alk solution. Then epsom salt for the rest of the mag solution. I bet I have spent under $50 on chemicals in the year and a half I have been doing it. Try and do that with a cal reactor. You will spend way more than that with media and co2. Also with the intial setup cost less than half I think it would be better for you.

Here is a link with more info on making your own 2 part than you will ever need. Then just buy your dosers and chemicals from brs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Edited by wickedsnowman - January 11 2013 at 11:42pm
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 8:41am
Well im thinking of going with these:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-with-dosers.html

I figure ill probably be a little better off by getting an ATO to go with the dosers huh.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 8:55am
speaking of ATOs can anyone recommend a good one?
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:17am
Tunze Osmolator. Best one there is IMO. I have one and love it. I trust it completely and never worry about topping off.
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:44am
Definately a little up there in price but it has really good reviews. Things are about to get expensive.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 11:46am
BRS dosers. How big is your tank? Are you wanting to do mainly sps? A great example of sps dom tank is the reefcentral totm right now. Huge sps colonies 200g and he is running BRS dry products on dosers. I have a lot of sps also and just ordered a two part acrylic res from Tyler. Will hold 2 gallons each. It takes me all of 10 min max to make 2 gallons of each. I manually dose mag once a week. I love my dosers. I controller the time.with my apex controller.
220 G SPS Display.

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 12:38pm
I will second the tunze osomaltor
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 12:45pm
tunze osomaltor is probably the best but there are other options that work great . I have a autotopoff.com setup and it has a double float switch system that prevents any problems. I have never had anything go wrong.
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 5:05pm
well you cant be too careful with ATOs so ill go with the tunze. thanks for the input guys.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 8:03pm
Ive done both cal reactor and dosing. I think with dosing you can adjust alk and cal seprate and I like my levels alk mostly more elevated, about 10 on the alk scale, I couldnt get my alk to 10 with out having my calc too high with a reactor. 
BRS dosers are good, i just switched to bubble mag doser, but BRS 2 part solution is weak and you would have to dose tons of it to work. I use B-onic 2 part and have seen better growth. I have seen several awesome sps tanks that are all on 2 part and thats what influenced me to switch and try it. 

The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by wickedsnowman wickedsnowman wrote:

tunze osomaltor is probably the best but there are other options that work great . I have a autotopoff.com setup and it has a double float switch system that prevents any problems. I have never had anything go wrong.

I've got a tunze osmolator on the RSM at work and it's been sooo nice! But, autotopoff.com
What a great site! Thanks!!!
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic