Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copper Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copper Treatment?
    Posted: January 14 2013 at 11:27am
About 3 months ago I got a blight of Ick that my fish couldn't shake. I lost a bunch of very precious friends but after it all settled down I began to replace my lost fish about a month ago. I still have 3 fish left in my tank from before that weathered the disease. Now my new fish have ick and I've decided that it's time to treat the whole lot with copper.

I've got a quarantine tank ready to go but I wanted to ask, what is the best product to treat the fish and about how long does it normally take?

My plan is to catch all the fish I've got (consisting of a sailfin tang, powder blue tang, Blue tang, Midas blenny, and Kleins butterfly fish), pop them in a 40 breeder I have set up, and treat for the recommended time.

let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Edited by Sculpin - January 14 2013 at 2:42pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 11:49am
I like cupramine. Keep your display tank fish free for 6-8 weeks. Follow the directions on the bottle for dosing amount. The bottle will say two week treatment but the display tank needs the 6-8 weeks without fish for the remaining parasites to die. Remember to quarantine all new additions for 2-3 weeks or you may introduce the disease again and have to go through this process from the beginning.

Edited by DMower - January 14 2013 at 12:30pm
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 2:03pm
+1 cupramine, Just be careful not to put them back too soon or the treatment is useless. Ich stays in your water for several weeks.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 2:38pm
Check out Reef'd Up's blog on quarantine.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic