Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mini carpet spewing chunks...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mini carpet spewing chunks...
    Posted: January 24 2013 at 9:39am
So we just set up a 6 gallon pico, I ordered a mini carpet, acclimated it and it seemed to be doing fine all morning. I went to work, came home and it was all the way open and had found a nice little crack to stick to.

This morning I checked on it and everything was fine. I turned on the light, still looking good. I walked away and came back a couple minutes later and the tank is foggy and the nem is discharging mass amounts of brown crap.

I thought it had instantly melted, but its still alive with perfect shape and color....

What the heck?!

I have a Christmas tree worm rock, a mushroom, 4 sexy shrimp and 2 clown gobies... Did I just kill everything?

What do I do?

THANKS
~Adrienne

builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 9:51am
I have large carpets do the same thing.
Have you fed or do you know if it has been fed by the LFS. Brown is usually Poopin.
I would not worry to much as long as its not Spewing white and its mouth is not locked open.
Oh i would change a bit of water.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:03am
probably just pooping. What are you doing with filtration? if you have a skimmer, it should pull most of it out. if not you might want to do a water change and just watch it. if they are dying they will release their guts through their mouth and will be stringy whitish in color.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:16am
Ya it's brown, not white. We ordered it from liveaquaria.com and when it got to us, it was cold. I acclimated it for a while to get the temp down and it seemed fine. I fed the tank cyclopods last night and everything ate. I will do a mini water change on it. I have carbon and phosphate pads in the little media basket in the back (its a fluval edge btw) so no skimmer on it. We did order some chemi pure elite a few days ago and plan on throwing a tiny bag in it as well. Thanks for your input guys! Its nice to know its just poo and not death lol

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:47am
They will also release zooxanthallae under stress, and that's brown too. As long as it doesn't have any loss of color or the other signs mentioned above, then it is probably ok.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 1:33pm
You got any pics of your tank?  I have a fluval as well.  Love it!
Try, try, try, then give up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic