Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

can you believe this . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can you believe this . . .
    Posted: January 29 2013 at 2:07am
Just woke up to the sound of gushing water . . .

yesterday i finally got around to installing my brand new vegas. Well the hose running in to my wave maker somehow blew off and was shooting the water in to the side of the canopy which bounced off and soaked one of my vegas. I. am. irrate.

Where do i go from here? According to their warranty policy what just happened isnt covered. I opened the unit and dried it off plugged it back in and the lights just flash on and off. Figure ill have to send it in for repair. I hope they do repairs lol

Happy F***ing Tuesday!
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 2:51am
If the lights pop on and off, it's probably a power supply issue.. hopefully cheap enough to fix.
joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:03am
Disassemble, than put it in rice. For a good 24 hous. No b/s try it. Reassemble and see if it works. I did this with my cell phone after I got a little drunk and jumped in a pool lol.

Edited by joelduval1 - January 29 2013 at 9:11am
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:07am
Originally posted by joelduval1 joelduval1 wrote:

Disassemble, than put it in rice. For a good 24 hours. No b/s try it. Reassemble and see I'd it works. I did this with my cell phone after I got a little drunk and jumped in a pool lol.
Agreed. Just one more of Lifes little Pokes in the Eye.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:10am
Lol. It actually works pretty good. Give it a shot!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:28am

You can also take each part and put a hair dryer (blow dryer, on 'cool' setting') to it for 30 seconds or so before putting the parts in the rice.

Should blow out any trapped water
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:40am
well i took it apart last night. dried it off everywhere i could with a cloth. took the inside apart and did the same. The little circuit board where the power connects to the unit has some weird fluid on it so im guessing that got fried. I tried pluggin it in this morning but it still only flashes all but one light flash. ill call AI here in a bit n see what they can do. I was furious but all i can do is laugh . . . . lol got to enjoy my brand new lights for about 48 hours.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:41am
Yeah, blow dry and rice.  Then take off the power supply and start trouble shooting forward from there.  The salt water will be very corrosive so wet parts might be better cleaned off with some RO water on a damp cloth.

If they are flashing you are getting some sort of connection, but it's shorting out somewhere because of the moisture.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:57am
well the little chip that sat under that thick fluid i found looks burnt so im sure thats gotta be replaced.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:43am
That Is why I use only pvc that's a bummer. You should have waited to turn it on. it was still wet when you tried , that's probably What fried it.

Edited by Ryanscott - January 29 2013 at 10:46am
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:51am
the lights were on when it blew. as i got to the tank it started flickering before i shut it off
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:52am
Dang that sucks that's an expensive accident.
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:54am
yessir. at least my other one survived.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:32am
I have a similar story my grandma was tank sitting and knocked my tunze top off board into the water when it was less than a week old.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic