Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

issue solved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: issue solved
    Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:18pm

I decided to get rid of my 10 gal sump and built my own 30 gal. Well Sunday I switched it out and of course had to add 20 or so more gallons of water. By Sunday night my fish were gasping for breath and my corals were all literally melting. I moved everything over to my brothers tank 2 fish died and all my corals are gone except some softies. Oh by the way I left all my crabs and snails in there and they all seem to be doing just fine.

So heres the deal...
PH-8.4
KH-15
Ammonia-Less than .25 but more than 0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Salinity- .023
Temp- 80 degrees
Calcium-23

All parameters are in check except slightly high alkalinit

Edited by Boxerboy - February 12 2013 at 7:59am
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:29pm
How long did you let the sump you built sit before you filled it up?

Maybe the silicone sealant wasn't fully cured yet?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:46pm
That is a possibility, I let it cure for about 24 hours. I didn't realize it could be that detrimental to a reefs health. Do you know if that can be fixed with time, or if it all needs to be redone?
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:47pm
What kind of silicone did you use?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

What kind of silicone did you use?

I was just getting ready to ask this...my guess is the non-aquarium safe type...the one with a mildew-preventer or something.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:13pm
See I thought about that but my brother used the same stuff to put dividers in his sump, I used it to put dividers and patch some cracks in my last sump i used for 4 months with no issues whatsoever
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:17pm
Do you know what kind of silicone though?
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:30pm
GE Supreme 100% silicone 30 minute ready, and yes it does say 10 year mold free product protection(not sure if that is a guarantee from the company or the extra chemical they put in there thats bad for aquariums) got it from lowes. heres the link to it

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-kb-supreme.php

Edited by Boxerboy - February 06 2013 at 1:31pm
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:43pm
Your supposed to use ge silicone 1 not 2....the anti-mold and mildew stuff is what can harm your livestock. I think this was more of a 1-2 punch from not letting the silicone setup long enough and the anti mold, plus the turning over of the sand in the sump. Alot of bad stuff can become from turning over sand.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:43pm
I would guess a combination of things,
-the sealant if it says anything about mold it shouldn't be used
-moving the sand bed if you didn't rinse it while moving it
-it could have also been the glass not being cleaned enough, I had a tank built and rinsed it but when I moved all my stuff everything melted and died or bleached
Sucks sorry to hear...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:51pm
How long after you added the salt mix to the 30 gallon sump water did it sit mixing and getting to the appropriate temp before you connected it to the display water?  The only reason I ask is because 30 gallons of freshly mixed salt water that hasn't been mixed very well with a powerhead can sometimes be toxic and kill fish and coral...Just throwing out another option.
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:58pm
I mixed it with a powerhead in buckets before adding for aprox 10-15 min each and then let it circulate in my sump for about a half hour until the temperature in the two matched up, then hooked it to the top. Is that enough time?
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:02pm
That should be, I let my new water oxygenate with power heads and a heater for 24 hours or so before putting it my sump. How big is your display again?
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:30pm
30 gallon display, so i pretty much doubled the amount of water.
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:42pm
Yeah, you doubled the water volume with fresh salt water. IMO, that's what happened. 15 dkh is high, shouldn't be more than 12. The reason I think this is what happened is because I did this before.
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 3:02pm
I think that sounds like a very likely cause. I guess i will give it a few days and try putting a little fish in and watch closely.
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 4:04pm
I once over dosed and changed almost 100% of all my water in my system in about a 3 hour period ! I had to use tap water as I had no R/o at the time. 10min mix when I added salt . I had a 72g mixed reef and like 8 fish . Made alot of corals mad but no loses. My best guess would be the silicone .  Most use an RTV 100 or 103 when building tanks.  (and atleast a 24 hr cure min)  Second would be the sand . If you remove old sand it is best to prime with a cup or 2 of the old  and rinse the rest until clean . It prevent all the old detriment etc from polluting your new set up. Last would be the cleaning and did you use vinegar to clean ? Sorry for your loss hope this helps in the future.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 7:20pm
Some salts claim they are ready as soon as dissolved. However most need more time to have o2 and ph to match the tank. 24 hours is usually the recommended time. I think it was the combo of all those things that started the chain reaction. Anti mold silicone is definitely not reef safe. Your bros tank and your previous sump prob didn't cause the same problems because it was cured more and released less toxins. I bet there is still bad stuff leaching in his though. Anytime a sand bed is moved it can start a tank crash also if not rinsed properly. Especially in older tanks. So just a string of bad things. IMO I would do 100% water change. Reseal the sump using reef safe stuff, rinse the sand in the sump really good and recycle the tank before adding live stock back. It is to bad man I feel for ya. If you need anything let me know.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 7:26pm
Oh and 15 dkh is pretty high for your alk and what does calcium-23 mean?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic