Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green chromie issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green chromie issues
    Posted: February 09 2013 at 4:23am
Ok, so I've got some cool livestock in my 125, a yellow tang a clown fish, and as of this morning only 2 chromies. The issue is that last night there were 3 and the night before I had 6. the yellow tang has been in the tank the longest and he's doing great, any thoughts as to why these chromies are dyeing left and right like this?
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 4:43am
I had the same thing happen in my tank. I started with 5 of the Blue Green Chromis and ended up with only the one that I have now. Usually they will take on the smallest one and take him out then move on to the next. I hear they are a schooling fish which to me is weird because they kill each other so much. I've heard getting a odd number of them that are roughly the same size is the best way to keep them together, and sometimes you get lucky. 
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 7:49am
Chromis only school as juveniles for protection. As they age, they kill each other off and fight for dominance. Most people end up with only one or two left after six months to a year...depending on the age of the chromis and tank size.

I started with 6 f the smallest I could find. A year later, I was down to two...and they were always fighting. Eventually I went down to one. Never again...
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 8:29am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Chromis only school as juveniles for protection. As they age, they kill each other off and fight for dominance. Most people end up with only one or two left after six months to a year...depending on the age of the chromis and tank size.

I started with 6 f the smallest I could find. A year later, I was down to two...and they were always fighting. Eventually I went down to one. Never again...

Ditto.

I had 15.  Now two.  Save yourself some frustration and don't buy any more until those two are gone.
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 8:31am
yea most of my chromies were small all roughly the same size but now only the two biggest are left. the biggest one is probably twice the size of the smaller but they seem to hang out on opposite sides of the tank now. now to finish getting the cleaning crew built up and my tank should start looking nice. around 30 crabs a conch and about 10 snails total (5 turbos and 5 of another kind I can't remember the name of) 
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 8:32am
Also thanks for the advice guys, glad to know that I haven't been the cause of their deaths
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:22am
Yeah they will kill each other when they grow unfortunate I learn that late and now I have one that's bullying the other one :(
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic