Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aquarium build question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aquarium build question
    Posted: February 12 2013 at 1:56pm
I am very specific in the tank I want so I've decided to build it myself I just want to make sure I do it right. I am building a 24x24x24 cube.. so a couple questions are:

Is there a general rule of the height of a tank and glass thickness?

Is there a good place to buy glass that anyone would recommend?

Any other tips?

Ive successfully bought a couple sumps so I have a bit of experience

Thanks

120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 2:37pm
Yes height plays a major role in glass thickness.

Do you want rimless or eurobraced? on that size, 1/2" glass rimless 3/8" eurbraced

Kelly's Stained Glass in Ogden does good work and has very good pricing on glass (even starphire)

Use a quality industrial grade adhesive silicone, Momentive RTV 108 (clear) or 103 (black) this stuff skins over super quick so you have to work fast, but its psi rating is very high compaired to silicone you will find at a big box store. I have also heard Dow Cornering 999 works well, but I don't have experience with it.

I would recommend a small eurobrace around the bottom of the tank for added silicone surface area. IMO 1/2" is not enough silicone area to hold on the bottom of the aquarium. Most of the pressure is at the bottom (well at tad above the bottomWink) on that size tank its not exactly necessary, but most do the bottom euro after you get past 100 gallons but I would rather be safe then sorry, its cheap to do.

hope I helped answer some questions for ya
Premium aquarium filtration!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 3:23pm
Here is a picture of a bottom euro so you know what I am trying to say.Smile

Premium aquarium filtration!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:28pm
I think 1/2 is more then plenty on many size aquariums for bonding if done correctly, This is done on much much larger aquariums from many different manufacturers for many many years now , Leemar,AGE,Reef Obsession Just to name a few who still build aquariums with out bottom euro bracing, With that said Would it hurt certainly not is it worth the extra $100+ in cost for that size of aquarium IMO no, 

Edited by Aquarium Creations - February 12 2013 at 4:52pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 2:00am
Hey Boxer, I built my first tank about 4 months ago and it was an experience. I have used the RTV 103 for resealing a previous tank , but used the Dow 999 on this build. I shopped around and was able to get it for $5 a tube plus like $10 shipping . Saved me a lil but not much and I'm to report no issues so far.  For the glass I used Kelly's in Ogden as Tyler mentioned and couldn't be happier with their service . I did 3 sides in starfire and euro bracing all 1/2" glass.  If you want to chat I will share what I will be doing on my next build and what I would never do again ! Kurt 801-637-6113
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 12:13pm
Thanks for the info that helps alot..I've heard of Eurobracing before but never actually knew what it was.
I think I'll do it myself as I like build and learn. Based on that info I think I'm gonna go with a rimless 24x24 base and only 20" height and do 3/8" glass. possibly starphire depending on cost. That seems like it would be pretty solid if bonded correctly, if anyone has any objections speak now or forever hold your peace
I'll keep posting as it progresses

Edited by Boxerboy - February 13 2013 at 12:18pm
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic