Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Randy's Two-Part

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I order mine in huge quantities from bulk reef supply.

What parts/items?
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHeavens JohnnyHeavens wrote:

What parts/items?

I was wondering the same thing. 
Anyone top off your tank with kalkwasser and added two-part as the tank needed or just the two-part and mag?  Wanting to find a cheaper way to supplements my tank.

Thanks

Duy
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHeavens JohnnyHeavens wrote:

What parts/items?
I think Reefdup is saying that she orders in the 5 gallon amounts of each. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:39pm
I was wondering what she is using/ordering exactly.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 3:20pm
That's what I used to do was kalkwasser and calcium/alk as needed. It was dirt cheap, it will be the way my next tank is set up also. Cause alk/cal can get expensive, using all 3 will be cheap. With adding lime, make sure and watch your ph, you may need to go with sodium bicarbonate, instead of sodium carbonate( or baking soda, vs "cooked" baking soda/soda ash)
JayTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 4:02pm
Has anyone tried both BRS and Randy's and proven to themselves that one is cheaper than the other.  Also curious of results.  Im a bit nervous about making a switch from the LFS pre-mixed jugs.  And, I have next to no chemistry skills or understanding, other that what directions on a bottle and my test kit tells me.  Looking to make a change soon since I am almost out of my Kent 2 part.  

Also, I am reading about lime, kalk, etc.  Would someone be willing to give a dumbed-down explanation of how they might benefit a 2 part system?
Jeremy
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by JayTee JayTee wrote:

I just heard of this from a new friend that stopped by to buy some frags. I was oblivious to the fact that I can use something other than the LFS, $40 per gallon stuff.

I have been adding the max recommended dosage based on the label of the Kent 2 part that I am currently using, and cant keep levels high enough.

Can anyone tell me if this 2 part system will save me money? I am seeing the previous posts, stating that a gallon would last about a month in a 65g (mine is 55g). Im a bit confused because the Kent product I am using now lasts me somewhere between 2 and 3 months, and I am dosing the maximum that they recommend.

Also, considering the BRS dosing pump system, mainly to make things easier on my tank sitter when they are needed. Does anyone have any experience with them? 

BRS two part will save you tons of money versus kents, bionic etc. What I was saying was that in my heavily stocked tank a gallon of the solution I make lasts about a month on a 120g tank. Each gallon of cal cl or soda ash ingredients you buy from BRS makes about 10 gallons of solution. So even at buying the ingredients one gal at a time a $15 bottle lasts nearly a year and that is without using kalkwasser. Just straight 2 part. Buying a 5 gallon bucket of ingredients is even cheaper but $15 a year is cheap enough if you only want to buy it in small quantities.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 4:08pm
I have been dosing kalkwasser and supplementing with two part (home brew using the Randy formula) but stopped the kalkwasser for two reasons:

1) The kalkwasser was building up in my pumps and causing them to lock up.  My skimmer pump locked in two week (new pump).  I don't see this as badly with the two part.
2) I was mixing and dosing two part anyway so it was just easier to not have to mix the messy kalkwasser and bump up the two part a bit.  Since I was making my own it was dirt cheap (like me).

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 4:13pm
I think a gallon makes 7 gallons of alk, and 6 gallons of calcium.... could be wrong but I think that was what I got when I did the math, a few months ago. I will do the math again tonight when I get home

Kalk, lime water, calcium hydroxide = cal/alk at the same level your corals will intake them. I talked with a chemist that used to be on the boards and that is what he told me. Fully saturated mix is 2tsp a gallon. When my tank was growing like crazy I was only at 13tsp for 10gallons. The trick is to figure out how much your tank is uptaking. And its used to maintain levels, not raise levels
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 5:19pm
Ok so -1 gallon of alk mix makes 8gallons of liquid alk
1 gallon of calcium makes 6.4 gallons of liquid calcium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 6:35pm
Sorry never looked into exactly how many gallons of solution it makes. I assumed around 10 causr thats what it seems like. Haha.. Ethier way buy in bulk or small quantities is cheap from BRS.

Just for shiz and giggles lets crunch some numbers for the OP. So there is 3785 mls in a gallon. Assuming your tank is heavily stocked and you need to dose around 1 ml per gal per day. In a 65g tank that would be 65 mls of each per day. 3785/65 = 58.2 So a gallon of solution will last 58 days. So pretty much 2 months. So a gallon of cal cl salt will last 372 days. ( 58.2x 6.4 =372.48 ). Then a gallon of soda ash will last 465 days ( 58.2 x 8 =465.6 ).

So yeah a long time. Haha IMO the best thing about buying the 5 gallons of ingredients. Is saving on shipping . So thats what I may do next time I order.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 10:14pm
Ohh and as far as brs dosing pumps. They have been awesome one of the best investments I have made for my tank. Dosing manually gets tedious and personally I think the key to long term success in this hobby is automation. The less you have to do and just sit back and enjoy is what keeps people from selling their tanks when they get bored. I think the hobby goes in spurts where you want to buy everything you see and then times where you dont even notice your tank is there. Automation gets you through the ruff patches hehe.. The reason I went with brs pumps is of course the obvious they are pretty cheap compared to some of the other dosing pumps out there. But more importantly they are reliable. I researched a ton when I bought dosing pumps and brs had by far the best reviews I could find.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 10:38pm
Wicked, what timer are you using for the pumps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 11:27pm
I bought my digital timers from lowes. I belief the brand is utilitech. It has like 20 different on/off you can set a day and a battery backup if your power goes out.
JayTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:47am
This is all great info.  Im going to place my order for the BRS 2 part tonight.  I will probably have to wait until after payday to get the pumps.  But regardless, I cant wait to start saving money over the pre-mixed stuff.  And, its always fun to add a mechanical piece to my tank.  Wickedsnowman is right.  My interest kind of comes and goes in spurts.  It will be nice to spend some time getting the pumps tuned in, etc.  

One last question (I think), what kind of containers are people using to put the CA and Alk in for the pump?  I have limited space under my tank.
Jeremy
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by JayTee JayTee wrote:

This is all great info.  Im going to place my order for the BRS 2 part tonight.  I will probably have to wait until after payday to get the pumps.  But regardless, I cant wait to start saving money over the pre-mixed stuff.  And, its always fun to add a mechanical piece to my tank.  Wickedsnowman is right.  My interest kind of comes and goes in spurts.  It will be nice to spend some time getting the pumps tuned in, etc.  

One last question (I think), what kind of containers are people using to put the CA and Alk in for the pump?  I have limited space under my tank.

If I were you I'd get in on Ann_A's BRS group buy.  (It's in the sale forum somewhere)  You'll get a good deal on their 2-part stuff.

And I ended up using a 2 liter coke bottle (for Alk) and a large apple juice container (for CA) with holes drilled in the lids because I didn't have enough room in my stand for anything bigger.

Edited by Melissa - February 28 2013 at 11:56am
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 3:48pm
Great inputs guys.

Chad, do you have any problem when dosing kalkwasser like Fatman is having?

Thanks
Duy
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 8:24pm
I didn't have those problems with kalk, but I also didn't dose cal/alk everday like I do now without dosing kalk

I am going to try just cal/alk on my new tank for a few, until I deem its too expensive maybe it wont be to expensive but I am willing to give it a shot. All I know is I loved kalk in all of my top off water, so easy, so cheap. But I do hear from alot of people its soooo much easier to adjust dosing with 2 part.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 12:09am
I think kalkwasser if used correctly can be a super easy way to maintain a reef. I personally have never tried it. I even bought a bag of it from BRS planning on using it. However the guy I bought my 120g from scared me out of it. He was adding in his top off water and had a float switch fail.... And it pumped like 10 gallons of it into his reef. Needless to say it killed everything. In the end it was great for me though. I got a 120g and super nice knotty alder stand and canopy for dirt cheap ;). This dude had thousands invested in coral, clams and fish. I felt really bad for him. He wanted nothing to do with the hobby after that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 12:15am
I dont want to scare anybody out of it through. It can be a great way to replenish calcium and alk. Just make sure you do correctly to prevent nuking your tank .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic