Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20 long build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 long build
    Posted: February 25 2013 at 8:55pm
I have been waiting to set up a tank until I could afford to do the one I really want (something big 150+), but I couldn't take it anymore. So I rummaged through my basement and came up with a 20 gal long tank and a couple koralias.   Found some dry rock in my garage, and so far have only had to buy a light and some sand.   Thanks to Aquatic Dreams for the killer deals, I now have a tank started! I think I will end up with some designer clowns, but the wife is still out on that decision.   Otherwise, it will be softies and lps.   Maybe a rbta once things settle down.

Playing around with some aquascaping ideas:

Final decision:

Adding water:

and finally, the cloudiness is dissipating:

Meanwhile, one of my dogs was not impressed that we were adding more pets to the equation:
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 9:28pm
I like the minimalist aqaua scape 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 9:45pm
Nice tank.
Love the couch and the dog!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by larseb larseb wrote:

I like the minimalist aqaua scape 

Thanks, my last tank had way to much rock in it and I could never move things around. For this tank, I wanted to try the opposite.

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Nice tank.
Love the couch and the dog!

Thanks, saved the couch from doom. A friend wanted to get rid of it, and we took it thinking we would have it reupholstered but decided we liked the well worn look of it.   and of course my dogs love to lay on anything that makes them feel dainty!
Carrie1121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrie1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:42pm
What kind of light is that? Looks nice!!
What kind of filtration system are you implementing?
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:49pm
It is an aquatic life 24 watt led. It has a mix of purple, white and blue lights. Seems good for softies/Lps.   The tank isn't drilled, so I have debated between a hob skimmer or just a hob filter running carbon and gfo.   And of course ill try and do 10% weekly water changes (that is my goal and probably primary maintenance on this tank).    Any info about good options for filtration on small, undrilled tanks would be greatly appreciated!
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 7:50pm
Couple of updated shots, even though there is not much to see yet!
The tank as it's been the last couple of days:

And now tonight, thanks to Crzyfshguy, I have some macro and a bit of live sand and rubble

After doing a lot of reading, it seems some people have had success adding macro algae at the start of the cycle making it a bit softer.   We shall see how the next couple weeks go.
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:22pm
So, I'm not sure if I have been adding enough fish food to get my cycle moving (either that or the cheato has helped a ton, or I am a bit color blind and am reading my tests wrong. I expected higher numbers.

Any thoughts. Tank has been up a week
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 6:15pm
I am stoked!! Just got a frag of Sunny D's, killer deal from Aquatic Dreams.    I have been wanting this paly for ever! Pics will come once it opens up.   
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 7:38pm
Horrible iPhone pics, but you get the idea of it

Its amazing how bright these things are, even without a lot of blue lights
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 3:22am
JUst an FYI I too used the api test kit but for some reason the Nitrate test is always way off. Test at home then have your LFS test with a different brand and see how close they are. Its just my opinion .
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 6:41am
Thanks for the heads up. I did just that.
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 2:16pm
Some new pics:
Full tank (left side)

Right side:

So far, it's all zoas and no fish. I am holding out for a pair of clowns

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic