Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MARCH 2013 TOTM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 7:00pm
Looks amazing and the naso and possum look to be doing well:-)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 10:03am
Originally posted by thathiep thathiep wrote:

Very nice!! Love the mixed corals and very healthy fishes.  How do you maintain your system with loaded of fishes?  

Duy -

1) First I think you need a good skimmer to remove some of the organic waste before it breaks down, along with a good flowing system to keep everything suspended in the water column and not settling on the rocks and sand:

2) Then I think you need a decent sandbed for this high of a bioload, as the sandbed is the main processor of ammonia and nitrites into nitrates in your system... If I was going BB I don't think I could have as many fish;

3) And I think you need to make sure you have enough live rock; since that is your main de-nitrator in your system and if you have too little your nitrates will keep creeping up due to the high bioload. I see a lot of people skimping on Live Rock due to the cost, and then wondering why they have constant problems with nitrates / hair algae / etc;

4) Then I think you need a lot of coral to pull any remaining nutrients out of the water. The sponges and clams probably also help with that

5) After that, It's just following the basic reefkeeping principles on things like changing out filter socks frequently so stuff doesn't linger and rot in there (I change mine every day or every 2 days);
I use a turkey baster to blow of f the rocks and corals every few days to help keep them from being covered in detritus or slime; If you run carbon and / or GFO (I run both in a BRS dual chamber reactor) make sure you change it frequently (every 2 weeks for carbon, monthly for GFO); keep your parameters as stable as possible (things like using an ATO and dosing regularly); feed a good variety on foods and don't overfeed; don't go too long on water changes (I do 16 gallons once a month, and I vaccum the sandbed when I change the water to get out any crud)

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Looks amazing and the naso and possum look to be doing well:-)

Yeah, "Kong" is loving his new home LOL and he hasn't knocked over a single coral yet... he's a "gentle giant" I guess... But the big guy LOVES bloodworms

And it's funny how the 2 fish are like, "pals" despite the tremendous size difference. The Possum is always following the Naso around the tank

Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 11:38am
Bob I hope you don't mind a few questions. How deep is your sand bed? What all do you use to feed? How often do u feed? I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
~Michelle
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:00pm
Sandbed is about 3 inches of mixed fine grain and medium grained sand 

I feed the tank once a day using a home made frozen mix... I am still working on the 'formula' but it has over 30 ingredients in it, of all different types and particle sizes, plus some vitamins. IMO one of the keys to a healthy system is feeding the tank as wide a variety as possible; my special food makes it easy because you only have to feed 1 thing instead of opening 10 different trays + 10 cans of dry food and or liquids. Think about it. In the wild, how does a reef "eat"? It's not like God reaches down with a giant can of Spectrum pellets once a day and shakes it over the ocean or something... different things eat different things, and not everything eats the one same thing, day after day...

And I dose with home made DIY formulations that expand on the standard "2 part / 3 part" recipes... I have added certain trace elements like Boron, Strontium, Manganese into the mix because IMO corals grow stronger with them (not just in growth rate, but in hardiness of the corals and coloration)

I am very tempted to actually take my food and dosing mixes 'commercial' once I feel I have really nailed them down 100%. The food I am developing a delivery methodology that nobody else in the marine foods business has done yet. Maybe later this year, who knows, could be the next 'big thing'???

Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:16pm
I think that is a great idea! I for one would be interested in both the food and dosing mixes and am sure others would appreciate it too! Let me know if you ever want to do a trial (i would pay of course) with a newbie and a young 180 tank!
~Michelle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic