Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LIght meter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LIght meter
    Posted: June 14 2003 at 6:29pm
I am looking for a device that will measure that amount of light the comes out of a lamp to compare ballasts and bulbs.  I don't know what the name of the meter is called.  If anyone has a meter that I can borrow, I would appreciate it. Hopefully this meter is something that will tell me how many lumens a bulb has. Thanks!!
MarineAquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 9:01pm

Hey marcus goto www.omnicontrols.com they have many to choose from...

Eric,

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 9:35pm
Thanks.  If I can't find one to borrow, maybe I'll have to buy one.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 10:08pm

Marcus, I hope you can find one to borrow.  A lux meter is kinda frivoulous (you know... on slaveboy wages ).  BTW, if you do buy one, they can be had for a bit less then the posted link.  And you might consider a waterproof one so you could drop it into your tank.  You might be able to borrow on from a photography shop (only call it a light meter, not a lux meter)?

1 lux = 1 lumen/m2

I've never seen a lux meter myself, but I would think you could calculate lumens if you know the area of the actual light meter. 

BTW, lux and lumens are biased toward the human eye (yellows and greens).  That is why atinic bulbs have such low lumens (they're in the blue/violet range).  Bulbs might better be discribed in units of energy - einstiens/m2.  Atinics would score very high if comparing eistiens/m2!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2003 at 6:26am

I believe I have a lux meter.  I'll look for it sometime this week.  I remember taking it with me to GARF to measure their light output, but I don't remember the meter being all that great.  But it is better than nothing, I guess.  I'm sure it is somewhere in my research bags. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2003 at 12:56pm

Jon, sometimes I think I have to go back to college to understand what you write.  Or maybe because its Sunday and I turn off my brain.  I'll just get the meter and you can help me with the calculations, please.

Adam, please let me know if you find the meter.  It would be very helpful.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 10:06am

I did find one of my lux meters.  I found a smaller device that measures in footcandles.  We'll convert that over to whatever you want.  I also spoke with a friend of mine who works in a local museum.  He uses a photometer all the time, and he is going to bring it home from work for me.  I'll stop by sometime.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 12:24pm
AWESOME!!  Let me know when you can get down here for a minute and we'll run some tests.  Yourself, Jon, and I should get together to do this.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 1:16pm

Give me a day's notice, I'll pack my hood into my car and stop by on the way home.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery on how we should test the light output from a vho bulb?

I was thinking of positioning the light meter a fixed distance from the bulb(the exact same distance each time).  Try to reduce/eliminate any "ambient" light.  Some how cover up the other bulb and take a light reading.  Any other suggestions?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 4:01pm
That sounds like a good way to do it.  Maybe we'll kill the lights in the back room here so its dark.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic