Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My DIY stand. 56k make a sandwich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My DIY stand. 56k make a sandwich
    Posted: April 20 2005 at 3:32am
So I decided to venture out into the stand making world at about 5pm today,  it's now 2 am and I'm dead tired, but I'm very happy with the progress I've made tonight.

http://www.eghatch.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

thats the diary of the stand.  It's in chronological order as I built it.

The stand is tall enough to be viewed without slouching, which is something I wanted out of it.

It's to hold my 9.5g 13" cube, A ten gallon sump underneath, and to have 2 shelves to hold everything else.

I also wanted something to hide all the plumbing, and so I could set it flush against the wall. The back panel on the top will get holes drilled according to the plumbing, and then the pipes will go down behind.  I still need to build a canopy to house my 150w MH setup that is coming in the mail, but I want to design the canopy around the lights, instead of trying to fit the lights into a canopy.

I'm painting the entire thing gloss black, and I don't want it to have a hint of wood grain visible.  That is why I opted to use joint compound and wood fillers to make it seem as though the entire stand is one solid peice of wood, instead of having seams.

Only tools I have are a chop saw, and circular saw, and a hammer lol.  It's coming along pretty good since this is my first attempt at anything like this.  I'll keep everyone updated as I progress tomorrow

You can see all the dust from sanding in this pic lol

No wood grains in mah paint

You can see how the plumbing will hide down the back in this pic

How is sits right now, as of 2:30 am.  Has a very thick layer of joint compound drying overnight and until tomorrow afternoon when I get started sanding again.
Hopefully it's the last layer

Thats about it for today.  I made a lot of progress for one day so I'm happy.  Still left on the to do list is the 2 shelves, the door (dunno how I'm gonna do it yet, need a router and some better woodworking tools), and a lot of sanding and paint.

Also gotta make that canopy.  You can expect to see a writeup on that as well because I'm using a DIY pendant, with 150w MH so I'll outline everything.  The canopy will be attached to the top of the stand, with about 9" of space between my tank and the canopy.  I'm going for the open top look, and my cube has that eurotrim on the top as well

thanks for reading

Edited by bambbrose
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 11:10am
Looks a lot like mine.

See it on www.dccrusr.com

Make sure to make the shelves removable, and if possible adjustable.  I will up load more pics of mine when we can.  I have a ton of stuff under mine, the cabinet is completely full.

Fax

Edited by fj40fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 6:50pm
I like yours.  Mine will be simliar except open top.

I'm making my paint booth in the garage right now, and paint layer one should go on within the hour.  I already poly'd the inside to be water resistant
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:25pm
scary easy sometimes. if it was a larger tank, I'd say cross brace the legs. But with it being small looks good so far...
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic