Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

marine velvet(PICS ADDED) help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
twolow4law1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:54pm
Ya I know I have only been around salt water for a couple years but I have owned at least 25 different Tangs in that time and have never lost one to ick, until the last 8 months I have lost probley 10-15 Tangs to ick, and some had the powder dusting your talking about and the same behaver, in fact I have a Thompson tang right now going threw it as we speek, about a month ago I spent 300.00 on a uv sterilizer hopping all my ick probs would go away and it has help for sure but not sure about this tang, I think the powder Tangs are ick maginets and with out a uv he's probly not going to recover, any way good luck with it.

Edited by twolow4law1 - March 19 2013 at 6:03pm
60 gal rimless , 40 gal rimless
120 gal reef
HOOKED ON SALT WATER   801-682-0477
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 6:02pm
I have a UV sterilizer and i have had it the whole time, I am also pretty sure that it is not ick I am hoping it is something i can take care of with medication. I am also debating setting up a hospital tank but I don't want to stress him out more and kill him. I fish there was a definite way to tell what it is. does any one know any good medications that are reef safe for bacterial and fungal infections?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 7:18am
Not much reef safe. Our whole eco system is bacteria ran. You start using medication to kill bacteria you do damage to the whole system.Best bet if He really has it is to pull him and quarantine him.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 8:16am
what size of quarantine tank would be best?
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 2:15pm
I would think at least a 20 gallon. I will be setting up a 55 gallon QT for my tangs. Just in case...
-Clayton
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 4:04pm
I use 20 gallon tanks for my quarantine needs.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 5:51pm
even a 4 inch powder brown I am afraid that would stress him more than help. also 20 long or tall?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 6:02pm
Short term hospital care will/should be fine.  It has always been fine for me.  The last larger fish I had through my QT were a 5 inch Foxface and a 2 inch blue hippo tang.   I have a 20 long and a 20 tall.  Both would be fine.  Provide PVC hiding places, good circulation, filtration, etc. 

Cupramine is a relatively gentle copper medication.  I use it.  Use it for 2 weeks minimum. 
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 6:18pm
Ok thanks.
My powder brown is starting to get pop eye what is this from? I am now really leaning toward bacterial infection any ideas on what causes pop eye?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 6:28pm
Read this.  Probably a good idea to treat with antibiotics while in qt.  
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 9:05pm
ok I am going to try to get everything i need tomorrow atleast meds thanks for everyones help i will try to update if anything else happens thanks once again!
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 7:40pm
Flat Worms,   Antibiotics, Copper will do nothing.  It is not bacterial.
 Popeye is usually caused by a Nematode not much you can do.  Sometimes Melafix will help with that. It is stress induced.  Unfortunately Powder Browns are very hard to keep long term.

Edited by Aquatic Evolution - March 25 2013 at 3:11pm
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Aquatic Evolution Aquatic Evolution wrote:

Flat Worms, Treat with PraziPro...  Antibiotics, Copper will do nothing.  It is not bacterial.
 Popeye is usually caused by a Nematode not much you can do.  Sometimes Melafix will help with that. It is stress induced.  Unfortunately Powder Browns are very hard to keep long term.

So two of my fish died a flame angel and the Powder brown. So are you saying they had worms or what? I would still like to know what it was
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 3:10pm
     Sorry for your loss...  Yes they are Flat Worms.   They require a specialized treatment to remove.  Does the place you bought it at have a replacement guarantee? 

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 3:59pm
That (flat worms) may not be the cause. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Unless you had an accurate in person diagnosis of course.
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Aquatic Evolution Aquatic Evolution wrote:

Sorry for your loss...  Yes they are Flat Worms.   They require a specialized treatment to remove.  Does the place you bought it at have a replacement guarantee? 

I am not sure if they do but is has been has probably past the time limit. How to i treat them just that medication you put in your other post?
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

That (flat worms) may not be the cause. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Unless you had an accurate in person diagnosis of course.

Is there a way i could tell myself or what are some of the symptoms?  If it is worms i don't want the rest of my fish to get sick or i want to get them better if they already have it.

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 9:47am
Nematodes are internal parasites. Most are really harmless. Do a internet search for more info. Other fish are likely OK. Another important lesson on the value of good quarantine practices.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:34am
     Nematodes- are likely causing the Popeye, they can hide behind they eye causing the trauma.  The marks that looks like "scuffs" are flatworms.  Darren I have personally handled 100's of thousands of fish over the years so I feel I can make a  fairly accurate diagnosis.  I'm not perfect, but I've been doing this a long time. I'm not really jumping to any conclusions.  If you have another idea what it is, share it with us.  Everyones input can be helpful...

Unfortunately a quarantine will do little to help with these ailments.  They take a while to manifest and you must be able to recognize the symptoms and diagnose it correctly. Then use the proper treatment.

Edited by Aquatic Evolution - March 29 2013 at 12:04pm
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:22pm
Also- Copper will not treat these diseases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic