Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID Help Please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:08pm
Back when the Tyree Montipora Sunset was just released, I was looking all over for it (Montiporas of that caliber were unheard of at that time). I found a lady selling a piece, but she didn't post a picture. Since everyone was trying to jump on it, I bit the bullet, drove forever to get it, and brought it home (it was already in a cup when I arrived). Needless to say, it was a new wild colony that was hacked up...and didn't have the proven coloration of the Tyree colony. In fact, it wasn't even the same species.

She called her coral the "Tyree Montipora Sunset" because it looked the same to her, but her eye was untrained. Even if the corals look the same to you, be honest and call them something else. It's not about the money (at least not to me.) It's about buying and selling honestly - knowing exactly what you're selling and exactly what you're buying.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:17pm
Now that makes sence! Remove the name and go generic instead of cali or oregon blue tort just call it a blue tort! And together we can all drive the price of corals down so I can actually afford them. Those big name coral vendors should really start issuing certificates of authenticity though, like all the benie babies my mother-in-law collected came with!
65g Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:20pm
You hit the nail on the head. Like BillyC said in his thread, just call it "Bryce's Blue Tort"...and you're good to go. "random Blue Tort" would also suffice. If you aren't 100% sure, make up something that is very clear that it's not lineaged. It'll help those of us looking for very specific corals...and help drive down prices.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:06am
So can we start asking the LFS's to provide proof of lineage? Just a question not a bash... It seems to me that some LFS are the most responsible for the pricing since they sell corals to us and say it is this or that and nobody really knows do we?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:20am
Unfortunately, I doubt very many people (or LFS) have "proof" of lineage. It's kinda taken on the honor system. I try my best to keep a list of who I bought what from...and if I know...who they bought it from. 99% of people don't ask me.

I've been to LFS all over the country, and it varies by each one. I've been to some where they take in new wild colonies and throw a crazy name and price tag on it. I've seen others where they couldn't sell a coral, so they threw a crazy name and price tag on it...and magically it sold. Others...specifically collect high-end corals from lineaged sources and sell them as a reputable "high-end dealer". The last one takes quite a bit of work, but the people who buy from them know that what they're getting isn't some hacked up coral that'll lose its color in 3 weeks. Keep in mind, LFS prices have to be higher than a friend who cuts a few frags every few weeks. LFS have a business to run...they take quite a bit of losses...have to deal with employees (insurance, taxes, etc.)...and still need to make a profit.

Anyway...sorry I hijacked your thread, but I think this is a pretty important topic...especially to those who hate the name game b/c it drives coral prices up...and to those who still try to find lineaged pieces.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:32am
All I'm saying about the prices and LFS is I can go into almost any LFS here in utah and they will tell me that this coral is $150 because it is a _______________ (any fancy name). They are selling these to us for these prices and no proof of where it came from. I do know these same stores buy from big vendors where they get misc corals in when they order them and they name and price them after receiving their shipment and sell them that way. That is my opinion of how this hobby is out of control on pricing. I could very easily sell the ones in picture #1 as Lunar eclipse palys and get the full price on them but I got them with the tank and really don't know what they are. So whats stopping a store from buying up someones corals and saying this looks like that so they are this price and name?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:42am
It's how much you value their integrity. If you don't believe them, don't buy it, don't buy from them, or ask to see proof. (And it's not just Utah.) Keep in mind, the store owner and employees eat based on their reputation. If I were one...I'd do my best to make sure I wasn't selling a knockoff.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 9:17am
This is why I love hobbiest like pete moss. He is bringing in high end lineage stuff and just rare super cool unnamed things and then sales them for the same price. It drives down the value of the lineage stuff and some reefers would bitch about that but I think it is great.

I hate the coral name game. The reason being my tank is full of lineaged stuff bought from billy, jared's etc. but on alot of it I was to lazy to remember what was theirs and what I bought from joe smoe. Now I have a tank I am super proud of color growth etc. However if I am being honest with the buyer alot of everything is valued the same now. As I think it should be. I pride myself on having cool unique looking coral. But could care less where it comes from.

Its a good thing I just let my stuff grow out. So I dont have to sell and play the stupid game haha...
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:51pm
Just call it Blue Acropora tortuosa.

Widkedsnowman wrote;
"This is why I love hobbiest like pete moss. He is bringing in high end lineage stuff and just rare super cool unnamed things and then sales them for the same price. It drives down the value of the lineage stuff and some reefers would bitch about that but I think it is great. "

You already fell victim to the "High End" promise.  Most of what is offered as "High End" is actually quite common. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic