Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black turbellarian worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black turbellarian worms
    Posted: March 28 2013 at 8:58pm
Anyone have any experience with these? I can't find great info...

I'm currently doing a freshwater dip with methylene blue.

I'm debating....prazipro bath or hyposalinity next?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:00pm
Personally I'd do hyposalinity since that seems like it would cause less stress on the fish because it's more "natural" rather than using chemicals. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Ann_A - March 28 2013 at 10:16pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:08pm
I'm going to do prazi and hypo...just not sure of which order.

I'm leaning toward hypo too, but it sounds like prazi may work faster on this....

But she will probably get ich....so hypo would help with that....

Edited by ReefdUp - March 28 2013 at 10:20pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 9:09pm
Don't know why but I had this bookmarked and this is what it says:

Tang Turbellarian, Black Ich, Black Spot Disease
Tang Turbellarian, Black Ich, Black Spot Disease
Cause: Planarian; Ichthyophaga sp., Paravortex sp.
Description: Flukes can infect fish by attaching to the gills or body wall and sucking blood or body fluids. Hooks generally attach the parasite to the host. Those flukes that are monogenetic are able to reproduce in an aquarium and become a problem. Larvae are free swimming and find a host to which they attach. Adults are able to crawl from host to host - they are unable to swim. If a fish knocks them off they will likely die because they must crawl to another host.
At least 2 genera, Paravortex or Ichthyophaga, can cause tang turbellarian, a fairly common disease. The larvae appear as tiny black dots on the surface of a brightly colored fish, feeding on the blood of their host. The worm releases from the host and falls to the tank bottom to become an adult, which reproduces to make free-swimming worms that find new hosts. Repeated cycles of reproduction can produce heavily infected fish.
Symptoms: Small black dots (larvae) appear on the sides and fins of affected fish. They may have rapid breathing and stop feeding. Affected fish will scratch themselves on surfaces and swim erratically. They may also breathe abnormally and lose their appetite.
Treatment: As the flukes are dislodged by treatment, care must be taken to avoid knocking them off in the main aquarium which may allow them to reach another host. Treatment should be done in a hospital tank:
  1. Freshwater baths, with formalin and malachite green. Parasites will fall off and should be destroyed.
  2. Praziquantel: 1-5 mg/L hospital tank.
  3. Trichlorfon (Dylox®) 1.0 mg/L daily for 3 days.

Drug Details For The Treatment of Tang Turbellarian, Black Ich, Black Spot Disease:
NameDosageActionPrecautionDangers
Formalin37% stock, .03 ml/L prolonged; 0.125 - 0.25 ml/L for brief dipsenzyme and cell membrane protein disruptiontoxic to fish and humansalgae, invertebrates, fish above 80°F
Malachite green2 mg/l brief dip, 0.1 mg/L continuousbinds and denatures intracellular proteinscarcinogenic, toxicpoisonous to fish
Freshwater Dipequalize pH, temperature, 5 minute limitcauses osmotic imbalance that leads to plasmolysis - rupture of the celltoxic procedure, difficult to move and handle sick fish without harming them furthernot used on fish with open wounds
Praziquantel1 mg/L/3-5 days aqueous; 2.5 mg/1 g food orallyeither causes calcium imbalance and parasite paralysis or prevents parasite purine sysnthesismust be used in a hosptital tankkills some invertebrates, such as feather duster worms

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:15pm
Thanks ClownfishAddict... This was the one thing I didn't have bookmarked. I did the freshwater dip with methylene blue, and most of the black spots are gone (yay!) I will say...they left some serious wounds on her. Gotta start antibiotics soon...

Unfortunately, she also has marine velvet (amyloodinium). I started formalin...we'll see how this goes. After the velvet is gone..then I'll worry about the rest of it.

Edited by ReefdUp - March 28 2013 at 10:20pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:29pm
Good news...maybe. She's swimming around and her breathing rate is slowing.

On a side note...no, this is not my fish (well, I want it to be, but technically I'm just saving her right now.)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 8:09pm
Here's an overview and an update:

28 March:

8pm - received fish, noticed black turbellarian worms. Fish was gasping, jumping out of the water, and the water smelled of ammonia. Noticed she also had Amyloodinium (velvet.) Fish was very lethargic, twitchy, and kept lying on her side.

9pm - Gave a 30 minute freshwater/methylene blue dip. Placed into QT treatment with Formalin. Breathing rate was approximately 180 breaths per minute. All noticeable worms fell off during the freshwater dip, but they left rather severe wounds. (Of course...used proper acclimation).

29 March:

8pm - She survived the first 24 hours. Still no appetite. Gave a second 10 minute freshwater/methylene blue dip. Switched her into QT #2 tank with a new dose of Formalin. Breathing rate is down to about 70 breaths per minute. Still slightly twitchy, but very active. Skin tone is less "velvety", but it's not gone yet. No sign of black turbellarian worms.

Edited by ReefdUp - March 29 2013 at 8:10pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 8:20pm
Thats good news. Big smile
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 9:28pm
Go NIKKI!!!!!
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 9:50pm
Don't jinx me!!! Velvet is terrible to fight.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 9:10pm
Looks like she got a secondary infection. I'm treating with Furan 2, but it's not helping. Any other ideas? :( I think it probably hit her bloodstream...which means that's it. So sad....

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic