Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish hosting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish hosting
    Posted: March 29 2013 at 1:40pm
Ok so I'm excited that I looked over and seen the smaller clown hosting my RBTA but the larger one is not. Is this normal?

Edited by ClownFishAddict - March 29 2013 at 1:48pm
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 1:49pm
My pair took to the carpet anemone at different paces. It was love at first sight for my female and the male was only a couple days behind.

Edited by Jacknugget - March 29 2013 at 2:00pm
125 Mixed Reef
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 1:49pm
Though immediately interested in the nem, my gold stripe maroon pair didn't fully host simultaneously. After a couple days though they were both constantly in it.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 3:00pm
My pair did the same thing the female started hosting and 5 days later the male started to host it and kick out the female
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 3:16pm
Just got home and seen them both in it. The female looked at me like "you didn't see me" and swam away. Lol
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 4:17pm
I have two clown pairs in two different tanks with two anemones in each tank and the clowns have yet to host or show any real interest.  I am hoping every day that they do.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 7:16am
If they are on small rocks you can do this, put the fish and the anemone in an acclimation box and lift the box slowly out of the water, just until the fish is forced to swim near or in and touch it. Usually they aren't keen on the first sting. So you get to force it on them. works with me every time. i leave them in the box until I notice that the fish wont leave the anemone. So maybe a day or two after first shock. If on a big rock... all you really can do is chase them near the anemone to add to the psyche that being in that area makes them safe b/c you back off in that area. Ergo stay in this area. Or get your fish net, net him early in the morning (way easier to catch a sleeping fish) and put the open end of the net on top of the anemone, first sting done then wait. That's the most humane way I can think of to start the process.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:22am
+1 to the above. With our first pair we would coax them toward the nem a few times a day and when the dart toward and into it we would retreat the net. It establishes that there is safety in the nem.

We did that after they showed no interest for a week. When we moved tanks we literally had to pull the nem/rock out with the female still hosting.

Edited by JohnnyHeavens - March 30 2013 at 11:24am
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:33am
They now have that Inseparable bond going on.

chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 7:52am
I know this sounds crazy but I have a pair of misbars that showed absolutetly no interest in the anemone.  So I tried the clownfish hosting in the anemone picture idea.  I put several up around the tank especially where they sleep at night.  After a couple days I noticed that instead of swimming all over the tank they were actually hanging out by one of the pictures.  I pulled all the pictures down the next day and low and behold they both started hositing the RBTA.  I couldn't believe it!
Try, try, try, then give up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 7:55am
Fish can be smart. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic