Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini carpet anemone dying? Or doing well?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:19pm
Monster, thank you for the offer but I think my light is a little bit to adequate according to everybody lol! And I will do that from now on and I suppose I should cut back my lighting to maybe 7 then now? Because he has been under this lighting for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks now. I have it as high as I can get it and now I will just set my timer to come on later and cut off earlier by a few hours.
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:25pm
Np bro good luck with the nem
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:26pm
I have it set to be on for 7 hours, I will gradually move up to like 10 and stay there.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

Too much light.  Tone it down to 10-12 hours at the most.  T5's are not low quality.  They wear out, and I'd bet that Petco (in general) does not spend a whole lot on bulb replacements.  I like blue (actinic) lights at night.  Not 100% necessary though.  Do a internet search on the subject of lighting/ light cycles for lots of info on this.  This will cover night lighting also.

Are the LED's adjustable, turn them down and place them on a timer for a start.

+1 I was the manager over aquatics at Petco for a while, and they WOULD NOT let me replace the bulbs more than once every 2 years... I tried many times to explain the importance of doing so.

Edited by Pete Moss - April 11 2013 at 8:11am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 8:22am
Aloha,

+1 to what has been said about light acclimation for this anemone. From the look of the anemone, that's it. I would recommend setting the timer to have the lights come on at noon and off at 8pm, for a week, then extending it gradually to 12 hours in either direction as works best for your viewing pleasure.

I would probably slow down the feeding before the waste exceeds the filtration capacity in that size of tank. Anemones need little supplemental feeding because they eat the food produced by the tank itself and the food produced by zooxanthellae algae living in their tissue. Carpet anemones are more carnivorous than others, so feeding is good but I'd cut it back to half of what you are presently doing. Smile

Here are just a few more things you might want to know about reefkeeping:

The biofiltration processes that occur in the LS, LR, LW and Algae are the most important filtration, in fact almost 100% of filtration in many tanks. Please see link below in my signature line for more excellent helpful info about this. For example, in the the tank below, the external filter is only for running Activated Carbon(AC) one week/month. AC is an essential part of cleaning toxins from the water of a reef aquarium, even when using a Skimmer.

The four most important parameters of reef aquariums are:
Temperature: 70-80
Salinity: 1.022 - 1.028
Alkalinity: 8-14 dKH
Calcium: 350-550 ppm

The Nitrogen compounds of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate become less important as we start to learn how a healthy tank looks. Coral are the indicators of tank health. If the biological filtration is set up properly and allowed to live uninterrupted, there is little need to test for N compounds.

The other test which LFS employees will erroneously promote is pH. In actuality, it is much better to regularly test the Alkalinity level. When Alk is within 8-14 dKH, proper pH naturally follows, staying within the recommended 8.0-8.4.

Make sure there are plenty of snails in your tank. The new brighter lights are going to grow more algae which if left unchecked becomes a terrible nuisance. For educational amusement, I have linked an article about the Ugly Green Haired Mermaid

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 11:36am
So I should go buy an alkalinity test? And yes there was definitely to much light in the tank, my coral is not WIDEEE open and super neon green, even prettier than when I bought it! And my anemone is starting to open up more, I'm sure it will take a while for it to regain its color but I'm just going to continue to take care of him! And I am feeding him only brine shrimp right now about 4 -5 at a time and he eats them all, I do this twice a day! I should still cut down??? And yeah, petco employees have told me that they tend to be cheap.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 2:04pm

Here is my maxi mini. Thing eats like a pig! They are beautiful.
Try, try, try, then give up!
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 3:26pm
Try, try, try, then give up!
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 5:03pm
Ughhhh! I'm so jealous! Mine looks just like that when he's health except a bright neon pink! I really hope mine gains it color back fast!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 7:47am
Aloha,

Originally posted by Sethooo Sethooo wrote:

So I should go buy an alkalinity test? 

Besides knowing the salinity and the temperature, I would not keep a reef tank and not do regular Alkalinity and Calcium testing. Forget all the rest. Smile

Originally posted by Sethooo Sethooo wrote:

I should still cut down???

Sorry, I had the impression you were feeding more than that, but combining those two feedings would be easier on you. Once/day is a pretty standard schedule. I, and many others actually skip feeding around one day/week. A properly maintained and not overly stocked reef is actually supposed to produce some of it's own food, like Amphipods/Grammeras:
10x manification

and Copepods:
100x magnification

Mahalo
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 9:07am
I do a calcium test like once every 3-4 weeks because my tank is so small and I will go buy an alkalinity test ASAP. My tank looks 100x better now that I have moved my light up and cut back on hours, my anemone moved into a crevice in the front of my rocks and is now starting to really spread out and he is getting his glow back with the blue night light! Do you guys know how to upload pictures from my iPhone? It keeps Saying this file has already been used rename it, ect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic