Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emperor Angelfish Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emperor Angelfish Help!
    Posted: April 15 2013 at 3:54pm
I have a juvenille emperor angelfish that I recently got from the LFS. He seemed fine there and was eating. Now he is in my tank and won't eat and is only hiding out in the rocks. He wasn't swimming much and is acting very weak. I did a freshwater dip on him hoping that will get rid of any parasites he might have had. Any advice?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 3:57pm
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:02pm
He looks a little pissed off. Maybe he is just stressed out from the move?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:05pm
If you are thinking of quarantine.   I have an empty up and running qt tank available.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:06pm
Has any of the other fish been picking on him. Trigger maybe?
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:11pm
I would give him a few days to settle in before getting concerned. If he was eating at the LFS then I'm betting that he'll come around. At first, my majestic angel was super shy and didn't show much interest in food.
125 Mixed Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:15pm
I'd probably use an acclimation box for the first few days or week.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 5:26pm
Nothing has been picking on him. He's laying on his side now.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 6:20pm
That's almost certain death.  I'm not sure what I would do, but I'd probably try to separate him.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:09pm
Yeah that is usually a death sentence for sure .. I have never had a fish bounce back after laying on it's side . Not to be mean because I know you had the best intentions. However I think the freshwater dip was the straw that broke. He was probably just stressed from moving from tank to tank in a short time and would have come around after getting comfortable. These things happen though it is all part of the hobby we love so much. It just stings a little more when it is a expensive fish like this. Best of luck hope he pulls through.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by wickedsnowman wickedsnowman wrote:

Yeah that is usually a death sentence for sure .. I have never had a fish bounce back after laying on it's side . Not to be mean because I know you had the best intentions. However I think the freshwater dip was the straw that broke. He was probably just stressed from moving from tank to tank in a short time and would have come around after getting comfortable. These things happen though it is all part of the hobby we love so much. It just stings a little more when it is a expensive fish like this. Best of luck hope he pulls through.

Thanks for the response and no worries. If there is something I could have done differently I'm glad to learn what it was, so there's no risk of coming across mean here.

Angel died during the night. Cry
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:01am
Sorry Ann. Was it breathing odd? It looks like it had a sheen on its body...am I seeing that right?

If properly done, freshwater dips aren't dangerous. How did you do it?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Sorry Ann. Was it breathing odd? It looks like it had a sheen on its body...am I seeing that right?

If properly done, freshwater dips aren't dangerous. How did you do it?

He was breathing fast before doing the fresh water dip. After he seemed to be breathing a little better.

I warmed the fresh water to the same temperature as the tank and carefully placed him in the container of fresh water. He was in there for about 5 minutes, all of time he was right side up and seemed fine. Then I carefully scooped him out and put him back in the tank. He seemed to be doing slightly better for about an hour or two but then went back to laying on the sand.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:11am
I assume you used distilled/RO/dechlorinated tap water, right? Did you match the pH? PH of RO water is usually far off enough to cause issues. What about the skin? Any coating or mucus?

When a fish is breathing fast and dies within a day, amyloodinium is a good bet. It can attack the gills first. I treat amyloo...with a series of freshwater dips followed by a formalin bath. That may explain why the fish initially seemed better after the dip.

If it was amyloo, it is very nasty and hard to treat.

Next time, I suggest adding methylene ble to the freshwater dip protocol.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:16am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I assume you used distilled/RO/dechlorinated tap water, right? Did you match the pH? PH of RO water is usually far off enough to cause issues. What about the skin? Any coating or mucus?

When a fish is breathing fast and dies within a day, amyloodinium is a good bet. It can attack the gills first. I treat amyloo...with a series of freshwater dips followed by a formalin bath. That may explain why the fish initially seemed better after the dip.

If it was amyloo, it is very nasty and hard to treat.

Next time, I suggest adding methylene ble to the freshwater dip protocol.

Yes I used RO water. The ph of the water was off by .1 after I added a little buffer, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Thank you for your help in diagnosing the issue and the advice on what to do next time. I really appreciate all of the help from everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic