Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

refractometer cal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: refractometer cal.
    Posted: April 16 2013 at 12:01pm

Can you use RO water to calibrate or do you have to use distilled water?

When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 12:07pm
Distilled or calibration fluid. RO will not give you an accurate reading. You can even see the difference just calibrating with Distilled and then putting RO on the glass. At least mine does.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 12:52pm
I've never had an issue zeroing using RO and can't imagine why you would. You could even use tap with a reasonably low TDS. Calibrating with tap water that has a TDS value of 350 ppm introduces only about a 1% error in salinity, causing readings in saltwater to read a bit low. So 35 ppt sw (specific gravity = 1.0264) will read to be about 34.7 ppt, and will show a specific gravity of about 1.0261.
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 1:03pm
I had the same question about a week ago.  I came to determine that calibration fluid is one of the few inexpensive things in this hobby. 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by icenine icenine wrote:

I've never had an issue zeroing using RO and can't imagine why you would. You could even use tap with a reasonably low TDS. Calibrating with tap water that has a TDS value of 350 ppm introduces only about a 1% error in salinity, causing readings in saltwater to read a bit low. So 35 ppt sw (specific gravity = 1.0264) will read to be about 34.7 ppt, and will show a specific gravity of about 1.0261.

remember that a refractometer is not really reading the salinity. It is telling you the level of refraction of the elements in the water that you are measuring. So while RO water is pretty clean and should have a low TDS it is still not "pure". Distilled water has the fewest number of contaminants in it for easily available water. While RO water won't throw you off "a lot", as I mentioned before, it throws my meter of a noticeable amount.

I guess you could relate it to gasoline. most cars only need regular grade gasoline, but some cars need mid grade gasoline and if you put regular in them they still run but not as well. They obviously don't stop working but if you're using a refractomoter I think the point is to have it as accurate as possible, right? Otherwise you could just use your old Instant Ocean salinity guage. :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic