Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marine Velvet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:02am
Mark Callahan said that velvet will stay in the tank for upto six months without a host so even if your fish live it will kill others in the tank unless you get everything out of the tank asap. If there are signs of velvet on the fis no amount of medecation will save them. You have to treat the fish before the symtoms show. I guess as the infected fish touches the rock it is passed to the rock and waits for a fish to swim by and hit the rock then it passes to its next victimI will find the link to his video about it.

Edited by suiso man - April 21 2013 at 11:16am
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:12am
Originally posted by suiso man suiso man wrote:

Mark Callahan said that velvet will stay in the tank for six months without a host so even if your fish live it will kill others in the tank unless you get everything out of the tank asap. If there are signs of velvet on the fis no amount of medecation will save them. You have to treat the fish before the symtoms show. I will find the link to his video about it

From my research velvet doesn't have a dormant stage and has to have a host in order to survive. I'm pulling ALL of the fish out today. Also my tank runs at 80F which will speed up the life cycle of the parasite so without a host it should be gone after a month or two. I may end up running fish-less for 6 months anyways just to be sure that ich and all other fish parasites are out of the tank.

How long does everyone think I should go to rid the display tank of parasites?
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 11:23am
Anne your right. I don't think it has a dormant stage but it has a long life span so that's why you pull the fish out of the tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 12:47pm

If there are signs of velvet on the fis no amount of medecation will save them. You have to treat the fish before the symtoms show.

This is incorrect. It's more difficult to treat at this stage, but it's not impossible. I've successfully treated at this stage, and so have many others.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:06pm
really? that is interesting. What did you do to prevent the parasite from spreading to lr the sand?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:09pm
You don't. You have to treat the fish in a quarantine tank. Since Velvet can be transferred in a single droplet (or can even be aerosolized in rare cases), I have fishless coral QT systems. That prevents Velvet (or other parasites) from coming in on my corals to attack my healthy fish.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:09pm
Anne here is the link I was mentioning

I also found this so I figure it would be worth posting.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=83

Edited by suiso man - April 21 2013 at 6:13pm
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

You don't. You have to treat the fish in a quarantine tank. Since Velvet can be transferred in a single droplet (or can even be aerosolized in rare cases), I have fishless coral QT systems. That prevents Velvet (or other parasites) from coming in on my corals to attack my healthy fish.

I was looking through your steps and had a couple of questions.
what is methylene blue? how did you clean up the infected tank rocks, sand and water?

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:27pm
He's referencing "experienced aquarists" for the info about how long velvet can survive about a host. I'm citing scientific studies that are peer-reviewed and have been repeated multiple times over multiple decades. Sorry...I'm skeptical there.

The tomonts can remain encysted for up to two weeks without a host present. The dinophores can survive up to 15 days without a host. Six weeks (as is typical for waiting out other parasites) should be more than sufficient.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 6:38pm

I was looking through your steps and had a couple of questions.
what is methylene blue? how did you clean up the infected tank rocks, sand and water?

Ok...I'm no vet, so I'm treading into some deep water here. Methylene blue is a redox dye medication that is used in the fish hobby (and many other medical/hobby fields) to treat for a variety of issues, including cyanide poisoning, high ammonia/nitrate exposure, oxygen deprivation, tissue injury staining, some fungal infections, and it is somewhat effective against some protozoans (like ich, velvet, brook, etc.)

These properties are why I use and encourage its use in a combination with freshwater dips on nearly all new (and injured/sick) fish. Many new fish are oxygen deprived, have cyanide poisoning, or were exposed to high levels of ammonia during shipping/handling. Plus, it'll knock off the majority of parasites when used with a freshwater dip.

I never had to "clean up the infected tank rocks, sand and water" because I treated my fish in a QT before I introduced them to my main display. If I somehow got velvet/ich/whatever in my main tank, I would remove all fish and treat them in a separate QT tank. I would let the main tank run fallow for 6 weeks, during which, the parasites would die from lack of a food source.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 7:06pm
I am glad I asked the question. Thanks for answering.
I have heard that fish are still caught using cyanide. I thought that there was no hope for them.
So the next question is where can you get Methylene blue? The vet? This is good information we can all learn from thanks for sharing.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 8:24pm
I don't know the treatment protocol for cyanide poisoning...sorry. But, yes, fish are still caught with it in some cases. I'm sure some of our LFS carry methylene blue...and sometimes the big box pet stores carry it as well. If not, I know Marine Depot and other online fish stores have it.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 7:13pm
Lost the last anthias, 1 clown, and my yellow rose goby today. The yellow rose goby is literally lost in my 29 probably just hiding under a rock or in the sand, so hopefully he's still alive but I doubt it. The remaining clown is in the quarantine tank and the tang, trigger, and melanurus are going in tonight in about an hour.

Edited by Ann_A - April 23 2013 at 7:14pm
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 7:42pm
So sorry! It is a horrible disease.
Try, try, try, then give up!
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 6:58am
Sorry to hear this Ann!  Glad you have a plan in action
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 7:31am
Everybody is in quarantine and survived the night. Hopefully it'll be uphill from here.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 8:11am
Yeah!!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
HPballer76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPballer76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:10am
Just a suggestion but maybe put some PVC pipes or something for the fish to hide in and feel secure while they are in the qt. would help a lot with stress.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:15am
I was planning to this afternoon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic