Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anenome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jgutie38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgutie38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anenome
    Posted: May 01 2013 at 8:46pm
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">My anenome has not opened up for a while now. My nitrate levels were high and i have been lowering them down with several water changes. The pH level is fine and so is the alkalinity. I have noticed that when i do a water change the anenome starts to grow again but after 1 or 2 days, it will close up again. Does anyone know what might be causing it to stay close all the time?

Edited by jgutie38 - May 01 2013 at 8:51pm
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 8:51pm
What kind of lighting? How old is the tank? What is your SG? What is your temp?

That will get us going in the right direction.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:37pm

Have you tested for phosphates? Are you using RO water?

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
jgutie38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgutie38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 11:38pm
Yes, I am using RO water and the Ocean water that they sell at the pet stores. I have made sure that the salt level is where its suppose to be and I have tested the Phosphates and they are stabled.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:38am
Aloha,

I agree that the answers to those questions would be good to know. Also a pic of the tank(not the stand, just the tank) would help.

Here is what I would do.
1. If you have a Refugium, turn the light on 24/7 for a week or more.
2. Go on the Reef Tour this Saturday to learn more about keeping a good reef. Take a bucket of saltwater and while visiting, ask for Macroalgae - as much as anyone can give you. Place that in your tank as close to good light as possible. Algae is a powerful water purifier and anemones typically do awesome when there is algae in the system. After a couple weeks the system will have grown enough bacteria and bugs that you can remove some, not all, of the Macroalgae. Remove it a little every week until you get to the amount that you like. Removing it all at once will throw the the system off balance which leads to nuisance algae growth.

That's what I would do, but is by no means the only way to reduce Nitrogen pollution.
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 02 2013 at 11:03am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic