Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2013 Presidency Spotlight: ReefdUp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May 2013 Presidency Spotlight: ReefdUp
    Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:45am

THE WASATCH MARINE AQUARIUM SOCIETY PRESENTS THE MAY 2013 PRESIDENCY SPOTLIGHT ON:

Nikki Bridges  ("ReefdUp")

Me at Catalina Island

Heyo! I'm Nikki (yes, I'm a girl), and I am a first-year member of the WMAS Presidency Council. I'm 28, and I'm married to my awesome husband, Will. We currently live in South Weber, Utah, which is right beside Hill AFB (where we are stationed.)      

I've been in the aquarium hobby for as long as I can remember. Most of the time I was in freshwater and bred show guppies, and I entered the saltwater hobby accidentally about 6.5 years ago. The most tanks I've ever had was 11, and I've only been without a tank for very brief periods. I'm not sure what I'd do without an aquarium; it's just a part of who I am.      

My favorite part of reefkeeping is actually studying coral diseases and pests. I absolutely love rescuing dying coral, and I run a for-fun website dedicated to teaching others what I learn (www.reefdup.com). I've rescued a few hundred coral (I lost count a long time ago), and it's very rewarding to see what was nearly dead repopulated throughout the hobby.

I currently have a 200g main system (150g display, 50g sump), a ~60g hospital/growout system (40g display, ~20g sump), a ~25g coral quarantine system (20g display, 5g sump), and 3 x 10g fish quarantines. In 2011, we moved our SPS-dominant 200g system across the country (from Ohio to Utah) with almost no losses (even though Delta lost our boxes for a few days).

I always like to say that my main hobby is collecting more hobbies. I'm an avid beader and scuba diver, am rebuilding a 1989 Ford Mustang GT (5.0 engine), enjoy sewing/gardening/reading, and love outdoorsy activities (snowboarding, hiking, camping, offroading). As the saying goes, "Jack of all trades; master of none."

My husband and I are both engineers for the Air Force (he's military, and I'm a civilian.) So, that should explain some of the social awkwardness. I will finish my graduate degree in engineering this year, but I plan to start right back to school on a second master's degree.

If you ever need help or have questions, please feel free to contact me. I love helping out, especially when the person I'm helping loves to learn too. I joined WMAS to share some of the knowledge I've gained through the years and across the country and to gain new insight as well.

My favorite piece of jewelry I've made:

My second-favorite piece:

My favorite rescue, before and after:

Another rescue, before and after:

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:53am
Awesome ! Those pieces of Jewelry are pretty! 

Man Nikki you know who to rescue a coral .
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:08pm
Thanks! I'm working on a slideshow with all my coral rescue photos of before & after. I'll post it when I get to a good stopping point (I don't plan to ever be done!)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 11:32pm
Do it! It is awesome! Keep up the good work!!! 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Jamez99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamez99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 1:01am

Thanks you  for updating us with this interesting information. you did very great job. keep it up Hope you will share more ideas and pictures, I wish you good luck

ccna practice test     ccna practice test
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 10:00pm
Awesome Nikki! Its awesome to get to know more about our members and what they enjoy doing in and out of the hobby.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 2:35pm
Rescue Ranger!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 5:43pm
No rescues lately unfortunately. My tanks have been a bit neglected with a new baby, and I'm back in school while working full time. Actually, I spent most of my time in my veggie garden instead. :)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic