Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re:Test Kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JustAddSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re:Test Kits
    Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:40pm

I know everyone has a opinion on test kits but was wondering what ones are the best and easiest to read..  My eyesight is not the best so judging what color for Ph is sometimes difficult.. I am currently using Red Sea for alk and ph but judging the color is kind of a challenge.  So I am leaning towards a affordable digital reader like the hanna line of products.   Also, was wondering if it is worth the computer monitor route or just invest in good accurate test kits.   To say the least I am frustrated and confused.  BTW have had my system up and running for just under a yr.  

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 4:24pm
Aloha Gary,

I don't check pH, but here is a digital pH monitor for $10 http://www.amazon.com/Generic-MAGNUM_MEDIA-PH-107a-Digital-Tester/dp/B0054IQCB4

The electronic Alkalinity meters are pricey, but pH doesn't matter if you are checking Alkalinity. Shocked Why is that? Because pH typically follows Alk so just test Alk and forget pH (except for a Calcium Reactor where it's good to keep an eye on effluent pH).

On all the Alk tests you have to watch for the color change. Do you use reading glasses? I'd be lost without the $7 reading glasses I get at Walmart. If you are color blind that's a different story and I guess either a color chart or another person would be the key.

Oh, I should mention that the only problems we ever see with pH being low when Alk is good is when the tank is covered with a lid. Then it's suffocating for fresh air. Opening the top to the air and making sure there is good water circulation allows the pH to be normal. Moving water from bottom to top is best.

The other test that is just as important as Alk and way more important than pH is Calcium. Again you have to watch for the color change. What Ca test are you using?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 4:40pm
Right now i am using the Red Sea basic reef tester kit but I am not sure how accurate it is..  Im just not sure why some corals seem to be doing fine and others seem to be suffering.  Funny thing is I just got rid of my sea hare an now i have hair algae cropping up.. I have one emerald crab and he seems to be very overworked.  All my bulbs are almost brand new and I just shut down my gfo carbon unit because I was told that it was not good to run all the time and GFO seems to be a tough item to get..  I get told at the LFS is umm our order comes in next tuesday..lol  and coming up with 179 for the big amount would end me up in divorce court..  According to my color chart for PH it says that I have 8.2 for ph and have been dosing with 8.4 buffer and it doesnt seem to raise my ph or anything else..  I am saving for a better calc and mag test kit as well thanks for your advice on the Ph monitor.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:07pm
I agree 100% with what Mark has said about Alk & Cal, test Alk and Cal, in fact thats pretty much all I test (other than mag every 3 months or so). 8.2 is more than fine for ph and as your tank consumes alk & cal your ph will drop in relation to the alk drop (ph buffer is usually just soda ash (Sodium carbonate ~ Alk). Are you dosing cal? What are your Nitrates at? I also dont see why you would shut off GFO or carbon...carbon wont do much if anything for algea and while GFO isnt needed, if you are having phosphate issues it can help. Do you have a sump, refugium, other algea like chaeto or calurpa? Sorry too many questions haha. P.S. I use API and Red Sea, Red Sea is more time consuming but depending on the test probably more accurate.

Edited by Bryce - May 29 2013 at 5:32pm
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:21pm
how often do you guys change your gfo out..just curious..once every two weeks..or what and how long should you let carbon go before changing out. I have heard that carbon can do bad things to your chemistry if left too long.  Thanks guys for your imput
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:27pm
GFO should be changed when ur phosphates get too high, thats different for every tank (I have read it can be exhausted in a day or last 3 months depending on what level of phosphates exist or are added to the tank). Carbon, I change about once a month, or when I can see (water taken out of tank during water change has noticable yellow tinge to it) or smell the need to do so.
65g Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 9:42pm
Aloha Gary,

The absolute best things for long term continuous algae control are about 1 snail per gallon and 1 hermit for every 3 gallons of tank capacity. Have you read this? My green haired mermaid.

AC(activated carbon) generally gets filled up and no longer does any good after about 2 weeks. GFO(granulated ferric ocide/iron oxide) has a lot of capacity and Phosphate is a very small impurity so GFO can last a long time, like as much as 6 months. Like Bryce said, GFO, and AC for that matter, will fill up faster when the water contains more of the impurities they were made to absorb/adsorb.

You will learn a lot about algae control by reading the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below in my signature line. Remember,snails, snails and more snails later on to replenish for those that die.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 29 2013 at 9:43pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustAddSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 6:49am
K was going to make it a point to read the articles in the tips section. Thanks for the help.. I do have two crabs and two snails in the refugium.. Four crabs, three snails and a emerald crab.. Probably going to restock the snails and get another emerald crab..
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 10:40am
I agree with Mark but dont just change carbon every 2 weeks because thats what is recommended if you see no need to do so. I use so called "premium" ROX 0.8 Bulk Reef Supply Carbon (which even BRS recommend changing every 2 weeks) and I can tell you with assurity in my tank, I would be throwing away good money if I changed it out every two weeks but I also skim heavily, change water frequently, and have other synthetic absorbing resins in use. Watch and observe your tank and learn its needs and adjust what and when you change things out based on observation and testing. 5 snails seems like a pretty small amount for any tank size though. Great video on AC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVpRGzerJFI
65g Reef
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 11:26am

I might be adding in a little late.  

1. With your question on test kit.  I have been using the RedSea Pro kit for about a 7 months now and really like it.  For the color change you are not looking at the color to tell what your resalts are.  When the color changes you just see how much product you have used and you then look to the chart.  With this kit I can to cal, alk, and mag test in under 10 minutes.  Here is the like and it is about $50 for all 3 and when your run low it can be refilled with our a full order. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-reef-foundation-pro-multi-test-kit-ca-alk-mg.html

2. PH.  If you are still having problems with your PH Limewater can help a lot. With ph issues you could have another issue that is giving you problems.  Mark did touch on it a little; FRESH AIR when it starts getting warm you will close your window and turn on your ac to keep your house cool.  This can starve your tank of fresh air.   I had this problem last year myself about this same time of the year.  I did try Limewater and it did help but what helped the most is a small pipe tied in to my skimmer run out side for fresh air.  That one change helped my tank more than I thought it would.   Make sure you read up on limewater before you use it.  Also you can use pickling lime from Wal-Mart will cost you $2-$5 depending on the store. here is the link http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Hope this helps. 

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic