Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cure my iche

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tchapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cure my iche
    Posted: June 02 2013 at 8:14pm
I don't have a qt tank. So what is the fastest way to get rid of it?
I dont run cause i get tired. and i dont lift weights cause they are heavy.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 8:16pm
A qt tank.    Unfortunately it is the only real treatment. All others are bandaids.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
tchapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 8:19pm
I said besides that ;)
I dont run cause i get tired. and i dont lift weights cause they are heavy.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

A qt tank.    Unfortunately it is the only real treatment. All others are bandaids.

+1 on QT tank with treatment...unless you can get your hands on the new ich vaccine (which still isn't a cure.) Otherwise, it's temporary.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 7:41am
Aloha Tyler,

Your topic created quite a bit of controversy when it came up a few weeks ago for another hobbyist. I would like to avoid controversy again so soon.
The simple treatment I use has caused the Ich to all but disappear from the fish by the next day. You want this done quickly, right? I would be happy to help. Please call me at 808-345-1049.

Mark Hug
808-345-1049

P.S. It's not a cure any more than there is a cure for mosquito bites, but just the same, it's a simple method of prevention. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

+1 on QT tank with treatment...unless you can get your hands on the new ich vaccine (which still isn't a cure.) Otherwise, it's temporary.

This includes garlic.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:07pm
Its not only putting fish into a qt you have to let the tank sit fishless for 7 to 8 weeks to let the ich die off in the tank. I am currently letting mine sit fishless , it sucks but if you don't do it once you put any fish that were treated into the main they will get ich again.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Ryanscott Ryanscott wrote:

Its not only putting fish into a qt you have to let the tank sit fishless for 7 to 8 weeks to let the ich die off in the tank. I am currently letting mine sit fishless , it sucks but if you don't do it once you put any fish that were treated into the main they will get ich again.

+1

You get to pick...cure it or bandaid it. Curing it is a bit of effort, but worth it to many in the long run. Bandaiding it is easy, doesn't always work, and you'll be dealing with it again soon. Your call...no judgement. Just don't expect a miracle in-tank treatment.

Edited by ReefdUp - June 03 2013 at 8:14pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:14pm
I feed with garlic and has work several times. When I stop feeding with garlic things got out of control and had some losses. But if you fees with garlic it would help them
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Dan9554880 Dan9554880 wrote:

I feed with garlic and has work several times. When I stop feeding with garlic things got out of control and had some losses. But if you fees with garlic it would help them

With all due respect, you're temporary remedy never "worked" but may have simply bought you some time. Hence the 'several time' comment.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:47pm
I know that garlic doesn't kill ich but it helps the fish fight it off. I know that my tank will always have even know that my fish won't show it but at least it's able to keep them alive in the circumstances of not having a having a qt system
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:04pm
I have succesfully gotten rid of or i guess temporarily fixed ich by doing fresh water dips (a lot of mixed reviews on this, i know.) and soaking the food in garlic. When i first got my blue hippo about a year ago it started showing little white spots so i did fresh water dips along with some ich treatment i got at a lfs. I do not remember what it was called but i dosed it in the fresh water bath. About 3 days later the spots were gone and the fish was back to normal. None of my other fish were affected. A month or so later it appeared again but this time i decided against the fresh water dip because it did stress the fish quite a bit so i went straight to using garlic again and within a few days the spots were gone and the fish was happy again. Once again my other fish went unaffected and the blue hippo remained ich free until i sold it a few months ago
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:12pm
I cant say whether the ich did the trik or not but im sure it helped. I left the fish in my tank both times btw but im told by people on here i got lucky that nothing else got it. just sharing my experience.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 9:23pm
I use freshwater dips as part of a treatment protocol, and it helps slightly with ich. However, it can help immensely with other common parasites that are easily confused with ich (such as velvet, black ich (turbellarian worms), etc.). If it was ich, it probably didn't do anything other than give the fish some temporary relief (which might've been enough to help the fish fight off the rest of the infection itself.)

That said, I don't think I'd freshwater dip a fish then put it right back in the main aquarium. Catching it then giving it osmotic shock is probably more stress than the temporary relief is worth.    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 10:40pm
I went to the Olive Garden and ordered Baked garlic and shallots with fino threw it in my tank and my ich was gone! Totally kidding! although Im sure some will find no humor in it. I'm not an experienced aquarist, in fact I am a total newbie, but I have been through 3 bouts of ich (not a scientific diagnosis but visually I believe thats what is was based on comparing my fishes appearences and symptoms and behavior to documented ich info) and I tried the garlic soaked food, even dosed some, and guess what, 3 times it didnt do Jack Shizzle, the fish all died, the ich lived on, as evidenced by 3 rounds of it because I didnt go fallow. What did work, and the only thing that did work was fallow for 72+ days, quarantining and copper. This being said, many people have ich in their tank and fish live so long as they eat, have low stress, room to swim, but it doesnt mean the ich is gone and will not come back right after you bought that candy basslet.
65g Reef
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 11:24pm
The best treatment for Ich always has been and always will be prevention. Garlic soaked foods can be used as a preventative but more importantly choosing the right fish for the size and type environment you are providing is essential.

As you can see once the parasite is present in the tank, treatment and treatment decisions are difficult. . I know this doesn't help with the original question but seems to be something that is being overlooked lately regarding Ich problems people have been experiencing.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 2:54pm
Aloha,

Certainly the elimination of the Ich parasite using quarantine and a fallow tank is the one sure way to keep it away from our fish. Yet most hobbyists have not set up the equipment and procedures to quarantine and medicate their new or sick fish. These hobbyists need to know the other ways that Ich can be controlled, including Ozone, UV and GO.

Copied here is an excerpt from http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31578 regarding how to get the best results with the right Garlic Oil. That thread is a really good read.
Originally posted by Mark Mark wrote:

...all Garlics are not the same. If one Garlic fails to work within a day or two, quickly switch to another... I've had dismal results with some brands of Garlic Oil and my brother had disastrous results with raw garlic, though it has worked for some hobbyists...
Garlic can only be a temporary fix in some situations [where the tank is not completely healthy]...

I have to say that even after 20 years of intimate involvement in this hobby and the WMAS, there is still so much for me to learn.
Everyone has different opinions, different tank setups and different ways of caring for their fish. This is usually the reason why what works for one does not work for another.

Ich can appear overnight from stress brought on by:
1. change;
2. lack of familiar foods in an unfamiliar environment;
3. deteriorating tank conditions;
4. crowded conditions;
5. active aggression; and
6. covert aggression.
Because of these six stressful conditions, most of which is present when new fish are introduced, to me it is extremely important to prepare the aquarium environment to receive the new fish and to keep the ongoing environment fish friendly. This can be an entire topic of it's own - worthy of discussion.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 Please feel free to call or text any time
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic