Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue sps turning green

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue sps turning green
    Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:34pm
What would cause blue torts to turn green? Water is 420 calc, all 8-9, mag 1450, nitrates about 5, sg 0.026, temp 78, light is a ecotech radion led usually running at the 14 to 18k setting with a peak of 65% intensity. All other sps look normal colors like my red planet, green slimer, pearl berry, tri color acros, everything else. No big changes in light, water parameters, corals have been in tank 4 months, good polyp extension and growth, weekly 10% water changes, run Gfo and carbon, skimmer, chaeto, tank is 7 month young, any experience or ideas?

Edited by Bryce - June 10 2013 at 10:43pm
65g Reef
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:50pm
it is most likely light based. If your blue coral is "defending" itself against a lot of green light it will tend to be more green. Your options are to turn the green down on your radions, or you can place the tort lower in the tank since blue penetrates further in water than green. give it some time with less green light and odds ate it will get blue again... hope this helps!
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:02pm
My Cali tort is blue and green . I think it looks good. It changed after like 8 months of being solid blue.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Mr.Gray Mr.Gray wrote:

it is most likely light based. If your blue coral is "defending" itself against a lot of green light it will tend to be more green. Your options are to turn the green down on your radions, or you can place the tort lower in the tank since blue penetrates further in water than green. give it some time with less green light and odds ate it will get blue again... hope this helps!
I agree, most likely the LEDs. I've color shifts to green in some SPS under LEDs before. 

Edited by sabeypets - June 10 2013 at 11:55pm
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:06am
I got a blue Mille from Anne, under my LED's it's now a green Mille.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:08am
Cali torts, tend to have green hues, especially in shaded spots of the coral

If it is a true Oregon tort, it should be solid blue, but it has been well documented on RC that led users have not been able to keep Oregon torts blue in color long term (> 6 months)
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 8:27am
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have both cali and oregon (no lineage proof but sold to me as such from reputable people & vendors) and I do know that both were fragged off mother colonys in tanks using T-5's. I dont think they look "bad" but was just wondering what most likely was causing it. I will check out how much green my radions are using. Thanks again.
65g Reef
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:18pm
Bryce,
     I find that with my LED's I have to acclimate corals VERY slowly to keep them from browning or bleaching. I think we forget how intense the LED light can be compared to other reflected or difused light sources. It might just be lightening up a bit because of the more intense light and will darken back up once it's had some time to adjust. I know my Red planet was completely brown when I got it and questioned over and over that it really was. It finally started to green back up after 9 months! It is looking great now!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Bryce,
     I find that with my LED's I have to acclimate corals VERY slowly to keep them from browning or bleaching.
Yea but my sps corals were all pretty much added at same time 4 months ago and I have been acclimating them with the radion at 2% light intensity increases every 2-3 weeks over that 4 month period and am only up to 75% for 4 hours a day with 10 hour total photoperiod so 3 hour ramp up, 3 hour ramp down so my light has been a very slow acclimation and is still not overkill in my mind as I only have 1 over a 65g and my other SPS all have the coloring they should, just my blues and purples have lots of green. Below are pics (not mine) but its what is happening to my torts that were once solid blue or solid purple, not a fast change but gradual over 4 months. (And i dont know what the below corals are they may not be blue torts, Im just using them as a color example of what my blue torts are turning to). Mine are fully encrusted with new growth tips and branches

Edited by Bryce - June 11 2013 at 1:18pm
65g Reef
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 1:15pm
I have LED lighting over both of my grow out/holding tanks and I haven't seen any SPS turning green that aren't supposed to be. The acclimation process I use is pretty much the same. Honestly it looks Pretty good even though it's not the correct color.

Always here to talk reef 801-850-7577 Justin.

Edited by AcroNem - June 11 2013 at 1:16pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 1:20pm
A pic would help. For what it's worth, in my years of reef keeping the color response of corals is usually not due to the same color being used but in a color that is opposite (not secondary but in that range) of the color that they are responding to. For instance, blue and purple corals normally display the best colors for me when I have bright white and a bit of yellow/orange. Reds are more intense when there is some green in the lights, etc.. See if you see the same response. That's just my observation YMMV.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 4:43pm
FYI - the most common thing I've read when doing my LED survey/research is that people had their SPS turn green. But, keep in mind, most people haven't had much of a green spectrum. Most of them seem to just run blues and whites (which contributes a tiny bit of green.) Saying that...the Ecotech should provide enough of the various parts of the spectrum.

The second picture looks just like a healthy Cali Tort should. If that's how yours is looking, then that's spot-on. If you had an Oregon Tort looking like that, then I'd be concerned. I'm going to guess the previous lighting wasn't what they wanted.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 5:00pm
Corals change colors due to a pigment change within their skin. It is a natural response to color intensities in lighting. This is how places grow specialized corals. It can happen quick or slow. Also, some corals will develop fluorescent pigments temporarily when lighting changes as a response to bright lighting or bright, differently colored lighting.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:10pm
Ok here is a pic, thanks again for all the replies. Sorry I do not have a nice camera. Sold to me a cali on left, oregon on right.

Edited by Bryce - June 11 2013 at 10:11pm
65g Reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 3:42am
I dont know but it looks as if you have the names reversed? Oregon on left, Cali on right. They both look fine. The Oregon looks a little green on the main stem but it should go away with time. Mine did the same thing for a few months.
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:41am
Bryce my cali looks just like the one on the left. I have 175 watt mh I wouldn't worry about it. if you don't like the color drop the frag lower in the tank and give it a week. to see how the color changes. if you don't like that color raise it higher. Every tank is different and every light setup is different because of that. I just got a tyree red dragon from Billy yesterday and we had this discussion. he like the purple pink color but I like the red so the frag is sitting at the bottom of my tank. it was at mid level in his tank. hope that helps
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 10:08pm
So my limited experience here is what i have seen. Ran a vega for several months . Wasnt pleased, so i tossed the vega and went back to mt halide T-5 and everything had a yellow hue.  Purple was yellow had a false color with the vega. Went back to T-5  Not to bag on led but what is best lighting? Think its a personal thing and the quality of lights. 
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 10:21pm
Heer is a challenge ....Put a Halide on a led tank and tell me the color.... if the led grows crazy keep it up. but natural light halide , t-5 , led should be close to the same ? Or am I just crazy ....

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 10:46pm
The thing about lights..... Companies change the light output of t5s, MH, and LEDs to suit what they think is the "best" intensity at each wavelength. If you look at the spectral graph of each type, some will have different graphs for each type of bulb. A 10000k t5 from zoomed will have a different output than a 10000k t5 bulb from coralife. So what you need to do is gauge what you think is best for your tank. The cool part about custom built LEDs is you can mimic any of those other lights if you can figure out the relative intensity vs. wavelength and what LED bulb is suitable for it.

many of the LED companies are still catching up to the ideas that T5 and MH companies have already figured out. So a blue/white fixture of LEDs is not adequate in comparison. A multi-bulb fixture (as some companies have begun to sell) is going to be closer to what you've experienced with other lights. So your Vega may not have been as good yet...

some links to sample wavelength vs. Intensity graphs...
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2010/07/Purple-Plus-t5-bulb-lighting.jpg
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/T-5-Aquarium-Bulbs/I/CoraLife-High-Output-T5-Bulbs.aspx
http://www.qualitymarine.com/Lighting:-Bulbs-and-Accessories/Ushio/Ushio-Aqualite-150w-10k-Double-Ended-Bulb
http://www.aquaillumination.com/vega/specs.html

notice how the Vega is more representative of a 20,000k MH... Probably good for deep coral, probably not so good for coral from shallow depths.
does this help?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic