Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals Melting (Updated 7/17/13)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 3:27pm
I have been using oceanic for over 1.5 years and have always liked how stable the water parameters have been. I ran out of salt and borrowed instant ocean reef crystals from a friend(my friend will only use that stuff.) I did a 36 gallon water change including letting the water circulate for 48 hours and all of the parameters changed 2 days after did the water change. it took a lot of work to get everything stable. so needless to say I am wary of switching salts.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 3:51pm
Shelby, if it is a bad batch of RSCP, then me and everyone else who experienced the issue noticed a dramatic difference after only a 10% water change. Granted, several water changes over a couple weeks took care of it, but it was still an obvious near-instantaneous difference.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 4:17pm
Aloha,

This won't change what has already happened and it may not help if the new salt is actually bad, but whenever I change salt mixes, I change gradually over two or three water changes, mixing them together 25:75, 50:50 and 75:25.

This is also what makes me shy away from large water changes and to stick with 10% monthly water changes. As was noticed in this situation, the new water has a different composition of elements and nutrients than the existing tank water so it can shock things, especially sensitive SPS coral. Of course, when the water is really bad with toxins or pollution it may be better to quickly fix it by a large water change.

Hope this bit of information helps someone avoid a problem like this in the future. Again, this won't change the past. I feel for your loss, but the old reef hobbyist adage about taking things slowly is time honored wisdom.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 7:11pm
Just got done with the water change.  I did go back to the purple Instant Ocean for the salt mix.  This is the same salt that I set the tank up on.  I know that people say that there are better salts out there to use.  I was thinking that this tank has been on this salt for about 10 months.  I have done 3 water changes with the Red Sea Pro.  

So water right after water change  10.2 alk, 400 Cal I did dose 30 Oz to up the lvl to 440 This will also bring down the alk a little. Mag was like a rock at 1400 still.    

I took picture of 4 corals that are not doing so well so that I can watch the progress.  

Mark Tanks for the info.  I am going to try to stay away from the other salt mix because if that is the problem I do not want to add more of what is giving me so many problems.   

on to the Pictures!

When I got this coral It had a very nice green glow with a blue skin

Birds Nest 

Should be a normal green on green war coral

This is a Spider-man Monty all most all the blue is missing. 

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 6:46pm
So about 24 hours after a water change with the new salt water mix.  I have a lot of zoa's that are open that I have not seen in days Clap.  My Spider man Zoa's I had all but written them off.  I have 3 heads open up all the way.  Other thing that is good, my mushrooms are about the twice the size that they have been for weeks.  I forgot how big they get when they are happier.  

I did remove the frags that were dead and adding to the death wave in the tank.  With the water changes over the next week or 2 my can should be under much more control and I am hoping that I am done with corals dropping there flesh. 

Tested the tank again tonight  Water 78, PH 8.12, Alk 9.8, Cal 430, P03 0.20

Please add anything that I might have missed or Ideas you might have 
So on to the  the 4 corals that I am watching.  

Spider man Milly  Looks to be a little happier and a frag of it looks so much better.  I really did think that frag was dead 

The Frag

This one I really don't see much change in yet...  I think that the skin looks a little darker but might just be wish full thinking. 

The war coral- The flesh on the lower part of the frag looks a little less clear and seems to have more color.  the top still looks a little clear.  

Birds nest- Did not look much better to me but it still has some flesh on the frag.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 7:49pm
That really is great news. I do hope it continues to improve.

icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 8:05pm
Hope things pull through. 

For what is is worth, guess what brand of salt the John G Shedd Aquarium in Chicago uses for ALL of their Salt water systems? From the reefs to the beluga whales?

Here is a pic from a behind the scenes tour a few years back: 

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 5:38am
Well it has been a week.  I have done 3 water changes with about 90 gallons total.  The birds nest did end up dropping the rest of it's flesh Cry it was in pretty bad shape and I really was not expecting it to make it.  The other 3 corals that were not looking very good have started to color back up and are looking much happier.    The part that I am most excited about is the large plate that I have on my overflow is coloring up really fast.  The edge is showing nice growth color and the center is back to a dark pink.  

I think I will do weekly water changes through the rest of this bucket of salt mix then go back to my normal water changes.  

I would love any input you have 
Thanks again Nikki for making me look at the salt mix.  
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 12:02pm
It has been almost a month so I though I would give an update. 

I did do a water change 1 week after I got the sand changed out.  I am going on 2 weeks with out a water change.  All of the corals are seeming very happy now and have started to get the color back that they had before I put them in my tank.    I really had not notice how much color most of the corals has lost after I put them in the tank.    My ph is now doing a normal swing.  I am runing from 8.10 at night to 8.24 just before the lights go out.  

I am starting to get a nice bloom of algae but I was expecting that but with only one sea hair in the tank he is happy as all get out over all the algae in the tank for him.  

Thanks again to every one that has helped me out with this crazy problem.  Clap
Shelby  

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 8:13pm
Great news. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic