Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evaporation and Water changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evaporation and Water changes
    Posted: June 18 2013 at 1:46pm
My tank seems to evaporate quite a bit of water-- I would say about 1.5 gallons a day. I was thinking that I am putting in new, clean water quite often, should this impact the frequency or volume of water changes? I've planned on continuing doing about 10% weekly changes, should this have any impact, or should I just test the water and respond accordingly?
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 1:54pm
Just like salt, pollutants don't evaporate either for the most part, so they will continue to increase in concentration even though you are adding "clean" top off water. Removal is what you need, the dilution from fresh top off won't make up for a water change. 
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 9:08pm
You are also replenishing trace elements with water changes.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 9:14pm
I've got my coral holding tanks that are 100 gallons each and there's probably two plus gallons a day from each tank that is evaporated out. Keep up water changes still, as the others said salt doesn't evaporate neither do the pollutants. Topping off sucks but it's a necessity.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 9:41pm
I probably go through 4-5 gallons a day and still try and do a 30G water change monthly.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had suspected as much, but I'm glad to have done experience to back it up. :-) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic