Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading with existing reef tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading with existing reef tank
    Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:52pm
All,

Tomorrow I'm picking up a 90 gallon system from another forum member.  This will be an upgrade to my up-and-running 55 gallon.  The 90 comes with a couple coral colonies, rock that started as base rock and is pest free, 2 urchins, 2 fish, sand, and equipment. 

I'm NOT ready to set up the 90 gallon and get it running right now.  I want to plumb it into the utility room on the other side of the wall and run the sump in there and I also still need to install a GFCI socket.  I'm also thinking about tiling the floor.  Long story short, the 90 gallon will sit in storage for a month or so.  

Here's my plan
1) The two coral colonies will be placed in my existing tank, as will the fish and urchins.
2) Since I can't really keep the rock live for a month I'm going to let it die.  How?  I don't know.  Maybe let it just sit dry?  Or maybe run it in bleach for a while and then store it dry?  I dunno.  I need your help here.
3) The sand will be cleaned with bleach and rinsed thoroughly before being stored dry.
4) Get the GFCI installed, plumbing through the wall, and perhaps the floor and wall tiled.
5) Setup the tank with its original sand and rock with some sand and rock and water from my existing tank and let it cycle(thus running both tanks while the second one cycles).  I can do this since I want the new tank in another place in the house.
6) Once the new 90 gallon is cycled I'll start moving my current livestock over.  I'll probably move the fish over at a rate of 2 fish every 2 weeks.  I'll have to move all the coral over at once so as to keep the same lighting over them.

What am I missing?  Are there ways to do it better?  

Thanks in advance!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 6:41am
I suppose it's too late, but I treat LR and LS like it was a fish or coral. I would not let it die. I have had and seen too many problems bringing old dead LR back to life. The sump isn't needed to keep the 90 partly full of circulating water to keep the LR and LS alive and on a partial light schedule. This way there's no need to cycle the tank. Yes, it's a hassle to have to move it to a new spot, but think of all the billions of bugs and worms lives that are saved by keeping it going. Smile

I don't recommend GFCI outlets. It's bad news to come home to a tank that has stopped running because the GFCI tripped off, usually for no good reason. Rather, For 20 years I have set up electric connections and outlets so that there is no possibility of error or mishap. Admitted, there is some comfort using a GFCI, so if you must, use it on the lights, skimmer and heater, but plug circulation pumps into a non-GFCI outlet.

That's my 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 6:54am
I have just thrown the live rock on a Rubbermaid tote or two, added a pump and heater and let it circulate.  You can put a cheap light over it of you want.  A little fish food occasionally will keep the bacteria etc. alive. Then it's ready to install once you need it.  You can probably set it up in the utility room and just push it out of the way when you have it tiled.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic