Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PH 7.6 should I worry ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PH 7.6 should I worry ?
    Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:00am
So my PH is at 7.5 after lights out and the highest it reaches at its peak before lights out is 7.9 sometimes 8.0 .

Levels

Nitrates .5-1.0
Mag 1360  (little low)
Cal 430
Alk 9.3-9.5

I have calibrated my Apex probe.  It is about 7 months old and never out of water. I used the calibration solution that came with it when it was new. I store the solution in old RX bottles could this be the problem as i know it says to only use new solution ? Any thoughts? 
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 6:59am
You shouldn't reuse solution. Once it's been exposed to air the concentration of chemicals tend to drift.  That may be the problem, but maybe the tank is shifting a bit on it's pH.  Do you dose and, if so, what?  I had some dropping pH and found that with my house shut tight for the summer (air conditioning) I needed to aerate the tank to raise it a bit.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 8:25am
Disclaimer: This is my opinion based on my experience and what I have learned from other hobbyists, experts and professionals. It is not intended to force anyone to do it my way but only to share my knowledge and give helpful information/ideas. Smile

Aloha Kurt,

Before I forget, that Mg level is not low in my book. 1250-1350 ppm is the acceptable range shown on the back of the WMAS club business card.

To answer your question, Yes, I would worry about those pH values, if they are correct. I would verify the readings by using a test kit or by taking some water in a sealed cup to someone with a probe or test kit.

Questions I would ask myself are:
Are the coral doing okay?
Have they been growing?
Is this low pH problem new or has it always been this way in my tank?
Have my fish been showing any signs of distress?
Do they have problems with Ich showing up, particularly in the morning or have I lost fish to Ich possibly due to pH induced stress?

Please feel free to post a pic of the tank so I can let you know if I see anything/potential problems/etc.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 8:44am
I just got my tank back from levels that you are listing.   

First thing to check is to make sure you are getting a correct test. Pick up a cheap test kit or have a friend come over and test Ph for you. You would not want to take it to the store to be tested because if it is an O2 issue that will through your test off.

After your first test if the Ph is still showing low you put some water in a bucket then take it out side for 20 Minutes then test Ph in the bucket. If the Ph goes way up the air in your house is the problemand there are lots of options to help that problem.
I will leave it at that point. Fell free to call or text me with questions. 801-589-7634

Edited by lskurys - July 24 2013 at 8:46am
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:30pm
I have a ton of zoas etc that are doing great , but my candy cane and duncan are slowly fading . I do have a tube I used on my last skimmer to introduce outside air . Think I will try that tonight and see if that helps . I will post what happens tomorrow. Then will move on to buying test kits and bucket method. And it has not always been this low just started recently, and yes I love my central air so it is closed up in my house.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 12:09am
Quick update, I ran the skimmer air supply line outside at about 10:45 Pm and it is now 12:05 Am and at 10:45 PH was 7.77 I am now at 7.94 and slowly climbing . Thanks for the reminder , like a huge brain lock on my part.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 7:56am
Disclaimer: Please remember not to take seriously anything I say. That will keep me out of trouble. Wink

pH above 7.9 at midnight isn't too bad in my book. If it doesn't go above 8.1 by Noon though, I would be concerned that something else was out of whack.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 4:46am
I am always up for good info Mark. I take bits and pieces from all and use them to find what works best for my situation. As of today my PH is 8.17 daytime and night time 8.12 at this moment . Seems as if it was a simple fix. Im lights out at 9:30 PM so not a big swing .
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:40am
I believe the tank is out of danger and assume everything looking good, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic