Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100% silicone sealant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
deedo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100% silicone sealant
    Posted: May 14 2005 at 12:37am

Is this stuff safe to use on the inner seams of SW aquariums? I want to put a bead of it down the seams of my new (used) tank because I'm anal like that    but not if it will slowly dissolve.

If not, what's the best sealant for this purpose?

thanks,

~andy

Edited by deedo
"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" - Ned Flanders
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 8:04am
I have used the silicone 1 from the hardware store in the past with no problems. I have used it on several projects. I was told it is ok to use and I dont dont see why not. I would stay away from silicone 2 as I have hear but cant tell you for sure it has more additives and could be a problem.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 9:12am
I don't use anything but the silicone that says it's made for aquarium use. It's a 2.8 oz. gray tube made by DAP with the word "AQUARIUM" written on it in blue letters. It's available at most HD and Lowes. I've seen another silicone change from clear to cloudy white when submersed in water. That looks bad and makes me nervous.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bewildered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewildered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 6:50pm

I have used silicone 1 and it turned yellow. The Aquariium stuff mark suggested worked better

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 6:59pm
I have used many tubes of silicone 1 or 2, clear, "Door and Window", without any problems.  It's never turned yellow on me or failed.  But the DAP Aquarium stuff is likely better.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 6:33pm
make sure that when you reseal your tank you run a razor blade all along all the seams so that you are as close to glass as you can. I have done several tanks this way. GE 100% sylicone1 .Don't mix one and two it will not bond together. I have had the sylicone go kinda white on the tanks but no biggie for falure.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic