Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

overheated 125g

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overheated 125g
    Posted: July 28 2013 at 6:41pm
So I've been gone for a week in Moab for another Base jumping course and I came home to a one of my tanks (a 125) that had the chiller go out on it. Temp was about 87°f. I've had tanks overheat before (no chillers with those ones) with no damage and same with this tank there isn't any terrible damage besides two acro colonies that are brown and obvious stress to fish and the other SPS and LPS. Mushrooms are fine.

I'm curious now who has had this happen and how it turned out for you. Anyone?

Edited by AcroNem - July 28 2013 at 6:42pm
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 7:04pm
I had my old 120 get to 85. I just floated zip lock bags full off ice till I t was back down. Didn't lose anything.
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 7:05pm
But then again it only was that hot for a day.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 7:13pm
I'm not sure when the chiller stopped working so who knows how long it was hot. I've got it almost back to normal I floated ice packs to get it below lethal levels and I just did a water change with cooler (normal temperature) water. No harm done easy fix.
801-850-7577.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 11:08pm
I've had mine get hot in the summer a couple of times, but my controller is set to shut down the T-5s and halides if it hits 84. I also get a text and email alert. So yes, I've had an overheat but the controller saved me.

No more T-5s or Halides so I'm running a much cooler tank with the LEDs.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 9:56am
Disclaimer: Please don't take too seriously anything I say. I prefer to stay out of hot water. (pun intended Wink)

Aloha,

Sorry to hear about the overheating, but glad to hear that it is back to normal.
This is one of the most common hazards in the hobby.
Unfortunately, SPS coral usually don't die right away.
Here are some things I would do immediately to prepare for the worst and to possibly sidestep a full-on tank crash:
1. Place a bag of fresh AC near the return pump intake and/or change out the AC if you use a Reactor;
2. Ensure that the skimmer is working at top capacity (this is when a skimmer is invaluable);
3. Turn on the Refugium lights 24 hrs/day for a few weeks; and
4. If there are no tangs or Rabittfish, add some Macroalgae in a well illuminated area of the display.

There are many things besides coral that can die when a tank goes over 82 degrees. Bugs and bacteria also die. An overheating emergency hits in two ways. It not only creates pollution because of dieing organisms but their death subsequently decreases the biofiltration capacity. It will take a few weeks for it to recover. Watch carefully for signs of nuisance algae growth. Diatoms and Cyano are typical intruders after an overheating issue. I would add some extra snails to take care of the issue before it starts.

Lastly, would you like some tips on how to avoid this issue in the future?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 3:20pm
Hey Mark I was wondering when you'd get a reply in here (;
   Last time I had a tank overheat it was because of a lack of a chiller(and Metal halides in the summer, bad move). This time I feel like a new aquarist even after a decade because I hate making a mistake twice hahaha. Last incident I had no deaths resulting from the overheating, although the biofiltration DID take a little while to bounce back.

As of yesterday there have been no deaths and obviously they aren't all apparent, SPS deaths can be delayed. I am running carbon from the start and the skimmer is running as well. Macroalgae is always in the sump so I think everything will be alright. also I've raised my water changes from every two weeks to weekly so I'm not worried about losing anything. Oh, also there's a quite large sailfin tang that makes an easy snack out of any algae that goes in the tank.

Thanks for always helping out :)
801-850-7577.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:17pm
Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 9:46am
Another thing to try for next time (hopefully there wont be one) is a clip on fan or if you're like me a ceiling fan in the room the tank is in. Works wonders on keeping the temp regulated.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 10:13am
What about getting a small air conditioner for the fish room; the kind that goes in a window?

small ones aren't too expensive, certainly less than a chiller.

set it not super cold (like maybe 78 - 80 degrees)and it won't blow your electric bill sky high.

This is what I did when I lived back East and my house did not have central air. My tank stayed under 80 degrees, and it added maybe $20 a month to my electric bill during the summer.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic