Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bored with my 12g nano, ideas/advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bored with my 12g nano, ideas/advice
    Posted: July 30 2013 at 1:49pm
I picked this nano up about 3 weeks ago already established and I absolutely love it! Out of all my tanks this is by far my favorite because of all the life in it,how natural it is, and very self sustainable it is. I hand feed my beaded anemones and throw in frozen missis Shrimp about once a week. I've done one water change(about a gallon or so) with water from my eel tank water, which some may agree some may not (my tanks are no where close to sterile but thrive amazingly). With that said I'm bored and would love to add more it and would like feed back. A few things you'll find in my tank(most came one the rock noted if it was added):
3 beaded anemones no bigger then a quarter size one about the size of a good ball
1 bubble anemone housing a fire clown (I believe that's what he his)(added)
1 crab (I've yet to fully id, I believe he's a decorator)
1 very tiny red brittle star
10+ heads of zoas (not sure what kind)(added)
3 heads of zoas (not sure what kind)(added)
1 sea slug (only see him at night)
1 purple urchin
different kinds of sponges
different colored feather dusters
2 keyhole snails
Hermits and other snails
Barnicals (live and feeding)
clams (they are in the rock and I've never seen them fully open)
Tampa Bay live rock and sand
I think I've listed just about everything visible to the eye. Every day I find something I've never seen before. The plankton is this tank is crazy and you can see the little guys all over the tank. Here's a list of a few things I'd like to put in here but I'm not sure how well everything would jive due to the life that's currently in there.
Different types of mushrooms
Different types of Zoas
Frogspawn
brain coral
maybe some candy cane coral
what are your thoughts on this? I plan on parting with the urchin when he gets a bit bigger and as of right now not adding any more fish. I've already started looking at upgrading to a 29gl and possibly turning this nano into a either a sea horse home or nothing other then soft coral.
Creating my own ocean
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:06pm
You'd be just fine adding any or all of those corals listed. As for turning it into a seahorse tank, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the 29g they can be dirty seems you have to feed at least 2-3 times a day.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:11pm
Are you dosing?  You mentioned that your clams haven't opened up fully. If you are not dosing, please read up on the care and feeding of clams.  They are going to suck all the calcium out of that small tank and you could end up seeing some major issues with your livestock.

Edited by Molli - July 30 2013 at 2:11pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Are you dosing?  You mentioned that your clams haven't opened up fully. If you are not dosing, please read up on the care and feeding of clams.  They are going to suck all the calcium out of that small tank and you could end up seeing some major issues with your livestock.

I'm thinking she has the type of clams that come in on live rock...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:14pm
Sorry for all the wrong words, I should probably re read before I post Here's a few pictures of the tank
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

You'd be just fine adding any or all of those corals listed. As for turning it into a seahorse tank, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the 29g they can be dirty seems you have to feed at least 2-3 times a day.

Thank you for the info, I hadn't started looking/reading into yet because it was just a thought of what's next haha. I suppose a sea horse isn't next at least not in that tank
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 9:12am
Disclaimer: Please do not take too seriously anything I say. I like to stay out of dirty water. Wink

Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

my tanks are no where close to sterile but thrive amazingly
In my opinion, you have hit it right on the head. Though the water around a reef may be low in nutrients/Nitrogen pollution, reefs can, to some people, look very wild and messy. When in fact it's all that wild life on the reef that eats up the pollution as fast as it is produced so it registers zero in water. The biofilm and detritus is actually part of that life. Sounds to me like you have a "wet thumb". Thumbs Up 

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 4:27pm
Coming together nicely. I moved my bta and clown to a bigger tank and added color. Just wanted to post the a few pictures on the changes being made.

Top picture is when I first got the tank and the bottom is today. Thank you everyone that I've bought my current livestock from
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 4:39pm

sorry for bad quality all pictures are from my phone
Creating my own ocean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic