Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a chiller to borrow for a week.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a chiller to borrow for a week.
    Posted: August 03 2013 at 2:42pm
I have moved to a new house, but my tank is currently still at my old apartment.   I've been going by every evening to top off water and feed. I noticed the other night that it seemed a little warm in the apartment, but I didn't think anything of it. Last night, I went in and it was pretty warm. I looked at the temp on the tank and it was 83.7. It looks like the AC unit on the apartment is out. I called the apartment maintenance dept this morning and they are telling me that it will be "maybe next week" until they have the parts to fix the AC. I can't move the fish over to the new house because I just don't have time. I'm not planning on moving them till next weekend. Does anyone have a chiller that I can borrow and put in place until I either get everything moved or the AC gets fixed? If you have one I can borrow, please text or call me at:

801 -709 -9642
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 4:24pm
Use bottles of ice to float in it until you find one and get a fan runnin over the top of the water. Those are the easiest until you find a chiller.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2013 at 7:59pm
I agree with the use of fan(s). I have used fan(s) extensively on different tanks over the last 20 years.

Evaporative cooling is not only the simplest but the most cost effective way to cool a tank. The temperature can be dropped by 10 degrees or more, even for a hot tank in a hot room. The angle of the fan at the water determines the cooling productivity. The fan can be placed on the same timer as the lights or a separate timer. Of course a controller can control a fan based on exact temperature settings.

Reducing the lighting also reduces heat. I would also consider just using the blue lights. That's the spectrum of light that coral most need and will keep them alive during the light reduction.

To make sure the heater is not trying to keep a minimum temperature and defeating the cooling effect of evaporation, unplug it. A swing from 70 degrees in the morning to 80 by evening is not harmful, as long as the temperature does not go over about 82. Allowing it to go near 70 lets the temp rise 10 degrees without causing problems.

Now let's talk about top-off for evaporation. A really easy way to do this is the drip method. Using an air valve meant for air bubblers, or simply tie a knot in the line,  drip the water from a 5 gal bucket on a chair or ladder. Setting the drip rate can be set pretty easily in less than an hour by watching the level and adjusting accordingly.

A fancier method of top-off is what I call the Glug Jug. It's a fail safe method that I can explain if requested.

That's my 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 03 2013 at 8:00pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic