Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50 CAD Cube Build - Aquascaping Pics Added

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 CAD Cube Build - Aquascaping Pics Added
    Posted: August 06 2013 at 4:22pm
All build threads have to start somewhere, but this may be the most anticlimactic start this site has seen.

I owned the CAD 50 gallon about a year and a half ago until I went through my divorce and had to part out the system.

Wasn't sure the direction I wanted to go with a new set up so for the time being I opted for a used Nuvo 38. I knew I wanted to go for the cube look so my intentions were a 93 cube build. The CAD 50 was always in the back of my head though. Then I had a chance to visit Laird and see his CAD and all the improvements they've done I was sold.

I just happened to visit CAD's website about a week ago to do some window shopping and they had the complete CAD 50 Artisan II on sale for $799.99, marked down from $999.99. Couldn't pass up a deal for a tank that came with everything except lights for that price. The only upgrade I opted for was to go from the PLS-100 pipeless skimmer to their TIA-1150 cone skimmer.

Was very impressed with Lairds choice in sand so I copied his choice of Tropic Eden's Reeflakes/Miniflakes mix that he did, and got that ordered today.

I will be going for a very minimalist aquascape, so I'm still shopping for just the right pieces of rock. There will be a few smaller pieces moved over from the existing tank too.

It will be SPS dominant, with my second emphasis on chalices.

Equipment coming from Nuvo will be my MP10W ES (on battery back up), ATI Sunpower 6x24 light fixture and my autotopoff.com set up.

SPS corals that will make the move are Red Dragon, Biohazard, Pink Lemonade, Red Planet, Setosa, Idaho Grape, 20K Lokani, Cornbred's Fire Dragon, Purple Dragon and Watermelon Milli.

Chalices will be Emerald Mummy Eye, Pink Boobies, Purple Urkle, Hollywood Stunner, My Miami, and Cornbred's Beetlejuice.

I have a lengthy wish list of other SPS and chalices jotted down, but will have to pick carefully as space will be at a premium. Just know I have quite the shopping trip planned to Jared Butler's soon!

Equipment to get ordered are a second MP10W ES, APEX Controller with WXM module, and calcium reactor.

Well told you all the beginning of this build thread would be anticlimactic, cuz all I can share right now is what was sitting in the driveway when I got home a bit ago.

Hopefully, more to follow soon.

Edited by Snowsrfr - September 04 2013 at 5:27am
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 4:47pm
Very nice! I have the same tank and absolutely love it! Sounds like this is going to be a sweet tank, following along!
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 4:48pm
It's gonna be a great tank congrats ...
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 7:53pm
After some thought I was kicking myself that I didn't get the CAD lamp tree. The guys at CAD are great! They sold me the lamp tree at the upgrade price instead of the full retail price. I currently have my ATI hanging from the ceiling above my Nuvo. With the lamp tree, it will guarantee the light is perfectly centered and make lowering and/or raising the fixture a breeze. Lamp tree is on its way so here's a rendering from CAD of how it looks mounted to the stand.

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 8:13am
I have a CAD 100g with the Lamp trees, my only complaint about them is that they will show a little surface rust. I would recommend using some type of sealer on the bare metal before mounting them.

not the best picture but this is how i mounted mine when I was first getting it up:
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 8:36am
Ya, that was the only thing I didn't like about them when I placed the order, so I plan on painting them with black Rustoleum or something similar.

Love your tank though. The 100 gallon was tempting as I was ordering the 50.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 11:26am
Did you get your tank moved?
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 6:52am
Really nothing new to report. Thanks to Shane (LaRue) I was able to get the tank moved downstairs and that was about it. When I pulled the sump out, to move the tank, it looked like my 6 year old had built it. The silicone holding the bubble traps in place were smeared, bubbled, incomplete. There was smears of silicon on several of the panes, and one corner seam wasn't even siliconed all the way to the top. I immediately emailed CAD but didn't hear back from them til yesterday. They seemed to be confused as to what I was trying to convey until I actually sent pictures of what I was talking about. They said they had quality control inspect everything before shipping out the set up. Thus I'm dead in the water as they ship me a new sump.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 6:30pm
I'm really starting to question my decision to go with CAD for the new set up. Ugh.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 4:44am
Updates?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 7:05pm
Hoped to do more step by step posting, but I just got caught up in trying to get it up and running and my Nuvo tore down.

There were several items that I purchased from CAD, or came with the set up that were very sub par. Their customer service can be so hit and miss, as I learned.

First the light tree arms from them. I paid the $119 that they sell for, and are advertised as "polished stainless steel". These were far from the item description. Mine had dust from the grinding of the weld spots coating the arms. There were polish/grind areas at the weld seams. The rest of the arms had a bit of a brush look, not polished, and scratch marks all over them. I brought this up to the guys at CAD and was just ignored. It was my intent to paint them black for a better look and protection from the saltwater atmosphere, but was surprised that they charged this much for a product that were so poorly manufactured. Regardless, I put two coats of black Rustoleum on the arms for protection and a darker look to match the tank and stand.

I was very happy with the the overflow set up. Instead of using the traditional bulkheads that most reef ready tanks use, CAD uses a "hand tight one step bulk head fittings" system. The over flow, emergency overflow tube, and return feed through from the overflow, and the fittings that thread on are all done by simply hand tightening. Once tank was filled I had zero issues with any leaks. I then simply used the supplied ball valve and flex hose provided for the overflow and return.

I knew there was gonna be another issue, of course it had to rear it's ugly head after the the pump was installed. The whole package was shipped on a pallet and then wrapped in plastic. The return pump was not in a box and merely strapped down to the outside of the boxes. After I got the whole thing set up and turned return pump on I noticed it was spraying water out and actually pumping very little water up the return. Upon further inspection I noticed a chunk broken off the return pump allowing most water to just be sprayed back into sump. I contacted CAD once again, and they said it was my fault and caused by me putting side pressure on the pump outlet when hooking up the return tubing. This wasn't a stress crack from putting too much pressure on it while connecting the hose, it had a piece broken completely off the pump! I was basically blown off by customer support again, so I had to order a new pump. I opted for a Rio 8HF, til I can save up for my pump of choice, the Eheim 1260.

Sump is well built, but could use some refinements on the design. The middle chamber is designated as the refugium but is so narrow with little room. Does accommodate a decent size ball of chaeto which is all I really care about, but think they could have widened the refugium area and narrowed the return area just a bit. All in all I'm happy with it though.

I upgraded from the stock pipeless skimmer that the package deal comes with to the TIA-1150 cone skimmer rated at 150 gallons. Took a couple days to break in and stop spewing TONS of micro bubbles, but is working great and even pulling out skimate with a nearly non-existent bioload. (No fish have been added to system yet.)

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 5:12am
Aquascaping.

On my last 50 cube I went with a minimalist approach to aquascaping. I guess maybe not so much minimalist, but not loaded with rock. I knew on this one though I wanted an even greater minimalist look to leave as much sand bed exposed and good flow all around the tank including behind the rock. I took about 80% live, well established, coralline covered rock from my old tank, and used 2 dead pieces to form a pillar with a small shelf at the top. (Thanks to Kody for giving me the rock and cutting the pillar piece flat and smooth to ease in the use of epoxy to secure the two pieces together).

I just can't seem to get a decent pic with my iPhone lately but the pics give you a pretty good look into the finished product.

Front....

Left....

Right...

As of now the coral list consist of:

SPS:
Red Dragon
Cornbred's Fire Dragon
Cornbred's Purple Dragon
Cornbred's Watermelon Milli
Cornbred's Neon Lights (although I don't think this one is going to make it)
Red Planet
Biohazard
Setosa Monti
Idaho Grape Monti
Pink Lemonade
20K Lokani

LPS:
Hollywood Stunner chalice
Pink Boobies chalice
Cornbred's Beetlejuice Watermelon chalice
Emerald Mummy Eye chalice
Mia's Pot of Gold favia

Also added a small Maxima clam.

No livestock yet, as I'm still not sure exactly what I want to go with. (Open to suggestions, and ideas.) Do know I want a Midas, Tailspot, or ORA Smiths blenny.

Need to replenish my cleanup crew as I noticed I only had a handful of snails, one hermit and two conchs.
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 8:53am
Looking good !
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 9:32am
Looks good I really like your pillar and shelf on the left.
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 1:48pm
Added my fish that I picked up from Aquatic Dreams yesterday.

ORA Smiths Blenny

Was also able to use the old bottle trap to get my Pom Pom crab outta the bucket with my extra LR.
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Snowsrfr Snowsrfr wrote:

Added my fish that I picked up from Aquatic Dreams yesterday.

ORA Smiths Blenny

Was also able to use the old bottle trap to get my Pom Pom crab outta the bucket with my extra LR.

That's a cool looking fish
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 5:23pm
That is cool. Is it a type of Fang Blenny?

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

That is cool. Is it a type of Fang Blenny?

Yup, Mike you are correct. He is from the fang blenny family.
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 7:23pm
Is it venomous ? I have a small golden midas and he bites
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic