Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Contest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Contest
    Posted: May 19 2005 at 12:44pm

I was looking at Nano-Reef.com and they have a tank contest every so often. I was thinking that would be fun to do here. They currently have to use a jbj 6gal cube stock and open class. However I think it would be cool to do something similar.

To keep it cost effective we could do pico tanks maybe 2.5-5 gallons. But everyone would use the same brand, etc. I know alot online are using the inexpensive palstic ones for the 2.5-5 gallon picos.

2 classes:

Begginer-- Those that have been into the SW tanks for less then X amount of time.

Expert--Everyone else more then X amount of time.

Set some ground rules on size/brand, etc.

Have a start date and have a finsh date and judging at one of the meetings 1-2 months down the road. I am not sure how difficult it would be to transport the pico tank to the meeting for judging or if it would be best to bring pictures.

If we could get some LFS to help sponser it with prizes, etc. that would be cool too, but not a must.

Then once judging is over, all tanks are put up for auction at the meeting and the money from the auction could go to the club or a donation to a worthy cause, or split it up between the club and a donation somewhere.

Then maybe in the future have other fun contests. Partners of 2 on a 20 gallon (1 partnet begginer and 1-expert) would help the begginer learn from one of the experts of tank setup thought processes.

Just an idea that may be fun.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Edited by Robudda
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 1:52pm
I'm all for this... I would deffinatly do this...

1 vote for this idea.. awesome suggestion
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 4:20pm
I was thinking of this on the way home, I was also at a couple LFs and seen that the 2.5 gallon plastic tank with lights is around $35 bucks. My whole purpose was to keep it inexpensive so that way it could be auctioned off at the end.

I figured some would not want to auction off something they just spent a $100 putting together, and alot of people already have misc stuff laying around.

so more ideas

New idea 1.So maybe set a gallon size and use whatever you want to build it. If you want to buy a 2.5 gallon tank go for it. If you want to use a see through tupperware bowl go for it. You want to build you own tank that's all good too.

New idea 2. Instead of auctioning off the tanks, each participant can pay a contest fee of $10 or $15 or $20 to enter the contest. Of course they keep there nice tanks they worked so hard on and the entry fees goes between the club and to charity.

I just figured a 2.5 gallon pico would be nice because we can start somthing that small by following Marks Nano theory of getting established LR, LS, Water, Algea from a tank and boom, ready to go...Even us that have only Nanos can get some water , small, LR, and Sand to get a pico started.

Thanks again for looking,
Rob

Edited by Robudda
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 5:25pm

Not to burst your bubble but this sounds like a bit of an administrative challenge.  Someone is going to have to get prizes, do judging, handle money.  I think tank of the month is close to a contest but it's not a contest - just volunteers.

I have 5 tanks and love everyone of them.  I also love nano's (I have three).  I just don't need anymore.  Each tank has it's own challenges and responsibilities.

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 5:33pm
I'm with you Susan! I think it would take alot of work to pull this one off. Afterall My favorite saying is one mans junk is another mans treasure! I would vote for hard corals where the next would vote for a softies tank. T.O.T.M. Is all we really need!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 6:16pm
No worries, my bubble is a ok I still think it would be fun.

Administrative challenge-- Not really. Judges any 3 people that come to the  meeting and are not entering picos, or even better Everyone that comes to a meeting views the tanks and drops a anonymous vote for the one they like the best

Prizes--I mentioned above it is not mandatory for prizes, but it is simple to ask a few of the supporting LFS if they would like to offer gift certificates etc. If we can great if not some still had fun.

Handle money--I would think  they sign people up all the time at the meeting to be a member and handle money then. Come to a meeting fill out a little card and give up $10.

I really don't think it would be as hard of a administrative challenge as you make it sound.

Susan--You also mentioned you didn't need any more tanks, You could always have some fun build a pico and auction it off for a good cause.

I agree with both of you to a point, but I do not consider tank of TOTM the same thing.

Tank of the month are well established tanks that have been worked on for long periods of time and are definently wonderful tanks that deserve such a great honor.

The contest is a short term thing just for fun. Take an empty tank that cannot have sand/corals/fish until day 1. Then 1-2 months later what can be done all in the matter of having fun and raising some money for the club and a charity.

Fun like this: 1 gallon pico out of an old paper shreader and Home Depot lamp from someone on Nano-reef.com

Maybe it is the gung ho newbie in me that wants to learn and build.

Thanks for all your input,
Rob

Edited by Robudda
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 9:45pm
i'm with Rob... come on people chime in :)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 9:41am
I can't stand maintaining a nano! Count me out.

I don't like thinking of my tank as a competition. I love it for what it is, an
extension of me. I never even thought of how others view it until lately,
and it kinda distracts for me. If I thought of it like a thing or an object, it
diminishes it.

These are my pets! Could you have a contest over who has the cutest
dog? And, wouldn't that get a little redundant when I win every time?
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

These are my pets! Could you have a contest over who has the cutest
dog? And, wouldn't that get a little redundant when I win every time?

Actually they do have dog shows, cat shows, Horse shows, etc, etc, etc.

Suzy--By the way, I for one think your tanks are great, You have such a great diversity of things, you have setups behind setups that are great ideas. Your tanks and and "behind the scenes setups" made me even more gung ho about the things that can be done.

Anyway sounds like most would prefer not to do any type of contest which is Ok, or some I think are taking it as a serious mine is better then yours deal, which I did not want it to be. I figured it would be more of a fun project to raise some money and to get some wild and crazy ideas like the paper shredder tank.

I think me and dmanshep are going to throw some fun pico ideas off each other and maybe come up with some fun/odd Pico desktops.

Thanks all for your insight and opinions.
Have a great weekend

Rob

Edited by Robudda
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 5:25pm
I've been giving this alot of thought today while I wait on programmers to get me their code so I can break it for them :) and was thinking regardless of contest or not i'm with Robuda i'm puttin together a pico just for the challenge and uniqueness.. As for the tank lets discuss some creative ideas.. i'm thinkin 2 or less gallons and not square.. hopefully not fish related at all.. maybe a blender jar.. hmm sadistic,,,, maybe a lemonade container or sun tea jar...

lighting is pretty important I guess too... hmmm
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 5:45pm
I'll start a Pico thread in the general forums and we can kick around some ideas..Should be fun. 

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic