Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flat worms maybe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flat worms maybe?
    Posted: August 26 2013 at 10:12am
so I found about three red flat worms on my boyfriends Duncans yesterday of course we treated the whole tank even though we didn't see any more. Anyway that got me thinking I have tons of little white bugs on the walls of my tank that are much smaller but have the same shape. Are these flat worms too? Sorry for the bad picture these guys are tiny
Creating my own ocean
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 11:25am
Yes, those are flatworms as well, but they are considered less invasive as the more common species of red planaria. They are photosynthetic, so they are often found on the glass on on light-facing surfaces.

IME, treatments like flatworm exit do not work on them, even at several times the recommended dosage with repeated treatments.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 11:31am
What's the best way to treat them? Get something that eats them? So I did treat my tank last night and was planning on doing a water change today is that the best way to go?
Creating my own ocean
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 4:42pm
Mmm...there's not a great way to treat these, unfortunately. They're not bad...they just aren't pretty either. Not much will eat them.

Wrasses have been shown to not actually digest flatworms. They bite them and spit them back out. If there's any neurological tissue left in the flatworm remnants, they can regenerate.

Blue velvet nudibranchs are a bit slow for these flatworms...they can move at a decent clip. And, it'll probably starve to death before it will eradicate all the flatworms.

PraziPro might work...not sure on that one.

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 5:36pm
Hum, okay, I'm glad to finds out they aren't harmful. Thank you so much for all your help!
Creating my own ocean
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 7:03pm
Melanurus ate all of my flatworms in 2 days. Flatworms were M.I.A. and the wrasse, well, it looked like I do after my Thanksgiving second meal.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:47pm
Those kind of flatworms cause no problems.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 9:31pm
This is all good news guys Thank you! I went abs bought a wrasse today in hopes it will bring the population down I plan on doing a small water change tomorrow as precaution because I did put flatworm control in my tank last night. Thank you again for all the help I was having a mini melt down earlier
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 6:35am
A little bit of information I have picked up along the way, which may help calm next time. There are many predators and prey in the ocean, even down to the tiniest little microbe which eats other microbes.
This is the cycle of life and it provides balance to the environment of our little piece of the ocean.
It is fascinating to learn about what all these different organisms eat. (Do you know what flatworms eat?)
I often suggest to hobbyists that of the 1000's of animal species that live in our reef aquariums, there is a handful of pests we really need to worry about. The good thing is that we have learned how to deal with them. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 12:12pm
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy.
I've got a problem, it's flatworms maybe?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy.
I've got a problem, it's flatworms maybe?
OH! Look what you did!
You made a funny, bout flat worms maybe.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2013 at 1:10pm
It works for tape worms too. :) Maybe.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 7:51pm
no more rhymes now. i mean it!
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
endorphin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endorphin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 12:03am
"Anybody want a peanut?"
endorphin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endorphin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 12:10am
No dang way, you all just helped crack what Inigo was talking about. All these years........ It was FLATWORMS!!! WhooHoo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP5-qJSzDUg

An the solution: No need to fuss.... they mean no Harm... but now I am hungry for some peanuts!    LOL

Edited by endorphin8 - August 29 2013 at 12:11am
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 8:09am
Furan2?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by laynframe laynframe wrote:

Furan2?

Furan-2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic. It has no ingredients that would target flatworms.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 11:28am
I just left them alone, they aren't bugging anyone but me haha
Creating my own ocean
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:29pm
oopa cant keep my drugs right... i ment interceptor. had these guys in a tank and that cleared them out!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic