Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bulb problem!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulb problem!
    Posted: September 09 2013 at 9:17pm
I have a Hamilton light bulb 175 watt halide that is probably only a week or two old. I was wiping the salt off of the bulbs and noticed that one of the bulbs has a 2" crack in it. I don't know what would cause this, does anyone else? The bulb is set in the stand and I have to open the lid with the lights on there but I don't think there is enough force to cause a crack. Will the bulb be ok? It's an 50 dollar bulb that is only two weeks old that I don't want to she'll out another 50 for if its a danger.
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 9:46pm
Were you using a wet cloth of some type while the buld was still hot (or even warm)? 
I would highly recommend replacing the bulb..
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 10:25pm
It was probably an hour after the lights went off. Dang no one around here has those bulbs in stock. I have the old 250 watts that are still ok bulbs. Could I replace the damaged one with that one until I get the new bulb? Would it be ok?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 10:35pm
Are you running that 175w bulb on a 250 socket / ballast?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 11:23pm
Yes, it will be fine just switch the ballast back to the 250w setting.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 10:22am
Bob the ballast that i have for them have an option of switching between 150-250's. So it was set on the 175
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 8:52pm
If they are 175 watts single end, then I have a couple of new one. They are expensive, like free. Let me know I'm in Wvc.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 9:28pm
You may have touched the bulb... It leaves oils on it which cause it to crack. Happens on any MH bulb.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic