Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's killing my mushrooms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's killing my mushrooms?
    Posted: September 16 2013 at 1:09am
I'm not sure if they are dying but I'm pretty sure they are. I'm very confused because my water parameters are good and they are in different parts of the tank, I've had the ricordea in the same spot for months and the greens are new. I'm at a loss at how one day they looking super happy and the next day they are slimy, shriveled, and looking dead. My parameters are
Salinity: 1.023
Phosphate: 0.5
P.h: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
Alkalinity: (meg/l) 4.5 (dkh) 12.6
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1300
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:17am
Your alk is a little high
And make sure the shrooms are not in direct light; they don't like too much light
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:20am
How do I bring that down? The ricordea is, I've left him there because he seems or use to seem to be a pretty happy camper. My green is totally gone this morning :(
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:24am
I moved him down see how he does
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:27am
Are you dosing any chemicals?

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:38am
No, I did just put a chemi pure bag in my filtration to bring my nitrates down
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:41am
How high were the nitrates?

Mushrooms generally don't mind nitrates as long as they are not SUPER high

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:49am
They where 80 on 9/9, is weird all the other mushrooms are doing okay and so is all my lps and zoas
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:51am
Do you have any brittle starfish in your tank?
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:52am
Just those tiny ones that come in the rock
Creating my own ocean
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 9:58am
what is your lighting like?  I had some mushrooms under t5s that would just shrivel unless they where put in some shade.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 10:12am
It's a nano, I'm running t5's
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 10:19am

Here's the tank the day before my mushrooms started to get slimy. This picture was taken Friday as well as the first one I posted. Sorry for bad quality just cell phone pics
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 4:23pm
Does this rust color stuff on my rocks have anything to do with it? Kinda starting to freak last a six line today
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 8:28pm
Having a Nitrate level of 80 and then using an ion exchange resin like Chemipure to help the biofiltration reduce it to 5 ppm could easily be the reason for dieing mushrooms.

Coral and their symbiotic Zooxanthellae algae need nutrients to survive. Soft coral need higher levels of Nitrogen and Phosphorous to survive. I don't know how long the Nitrate level was at 80 but it may have been high for some time. The mushrooms were probably loving it. Severely and quickly reducing the nutrient levels with the use of Chemipure was probably a big shock to them. Chemipure also removes other elements/nutrients which the mushrooms like.

I knew a person that could never keep any coral, even soft coral, because she had been running Phosphate remover continually from tank set up.

The brown color on the rock is diatom algae and possibly also dinoflagellate algae. Sometimes when a coral dies, an algae comes along to help eat up the pollution. Watch for Cyano as well.

I have found that the best way to reduce pollution is not to use a chemical. I believe algae is the best answer. Algae eats pollution like crazy. Macroalgae is a much nicer algae than Cyano, Diatoms or Dinoflagellates and IMO is better than any chemical or ion exchange resin. I highly recommend adding some Macroalgae like Caulerpa and/or Cheato to this tank or if it already has some in a Refugium, I would turn on the lights 24/7 for a while.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 17 2013 at 8:30pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 9:07pm
Is that an aiptasia anemone? that is huge! sorry about your shrooms, I agree with Mark, change any parameter fast and it can be bad. I just moved and was lazy about hooking my gfo reactor back up so I wasn't running gfo for 2 months, then I hooked it up with the full recommended amount of gfo and it dropped phosphates so fast that my acros went into shock and lost some tips and bleached out my montiporas, if you suspect dead corals that will not make a recovery I would pull them out of the tank.
65g Reef
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 9:15pm
Thank for some answers Mark I was really starting to worry. I guess lesson learned with Chem bags haha. After I noticed the rock discoloration I pulled that bag out and put small pebbles of live rock in the back filtration. I will be stealing (haha more like taking) some plants out of our refugium tank. I would have already but different households. Anyways after I pulled the bag out I had already started seeing changes in my tank. I'm just going to wait it out and hope for the best. My alkalinity has spiked in the last 48 hrs and of course Calcium and mag have dropped but everything has stayed the same. I'm hoping the tank will find its natural balance with out losing anything else. As of right now the only thing lost is a six line and three green mushrooms. The ricordea looks like it is healing itself and nothing else was our had shown signs of being affected.
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 9:38pm
That is one of three haha I've had a lot of criticism over them but that's okay because I like them. They where big when I got the tank from a local couple and at first I wasn't going to add coral to this tank so I left them. You'd have to know the history behind what's in there and my weird want to recreate the ocean as close to humanly possible. Back on topic though I started have feeding them shrimp and they have more then doubled in size over the last 6 months. I have a love hate relationship with them though. I love them because I find them very pretty, entertaining, they've never moved or mass produced,stung my coral (mainly because I don't place coral in stinging range), and they are fun to feed but I hate them because they are getting to big, getting aggressive towards fish, shrimp, and crabs, and when I move things around they release this stringy stuff that doesn't feel good on my skin haha. Thank you guys for your help and answers I hope things get back to norm soon and I'm taking the right steps to get it there.
Creating my own ocean
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 3:11pm
For what ever its worth...

Chemi Pure Elite or regular?  It actually matters...

I  think it's your Phosphates, yours is way to high and mushrooms act very poorly at those levels.  Critical level is at .10 and Corals will decline at .25.  Besides all of the other difficulties it presents.

Chemi Pure has no ability to directly adsorb or absorb Nitrates.  It will however remove disolved organics that break down into Nitrate.

What is Temp.?

Also make sure to double check the calibration of your Hydrometer or whatever you are using, low salintiy is devastating to Shrooms as well as the temperature of aquarium.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic