Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

350 Gallon Peninsula Style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 350 Gallon Peninsula Style
    Posted: September 21 2013 at 7:48pm
As some of you know I have been trying to get a house for my wife and I. We finally got one and will be moving into it this Sunday. We are super excited!
Last month I found a 350 Gallon 2 Starfire fronts peninsula style tank. The dimensions of this monster are 72"x 36" x 31. 
Today we finally got the tank delivered to the new house. It took 5 guys to unload it! We also went and picked up the stand today that was custom built for the tank. And it was custom built to be broken into three separate parts so it would be easy to transport. 
The stand is steel and will be coated in plasti dip so it wont rust. 
Here is the stand. 

This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:43pm

Edited by Fatman - November 11 2013 at 7:11am
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:45pm
That is way cool. Word of concern is the legs on the stand. You wont want that on a wood floor or sub floor. The weight distribution is to small sections. It should sit completely flat on a floor for proper distribution. Unless its on concrete then all yo have to worry about would be levelness of the concrete.:)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 7:22am
I agree with Dion.

Metal stands are awesome but, because the stand is in sections appearing to be held together by 4 horizontal bolts, I would be concerned that when the tank is filled with water the sections would stress and misalign leading to uneven support. I'm thinking of 4 bolts bending when acted upon by 1000 lbs. of shearing force. Shocked Wood floors sag so the stand has to be solid. Depending on how a cement floor is built, could it crack and subside under an uneven heavy load?

Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but why risk it? It doesn't take much to crack a long glass tank.

My 2 cents.
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 11:52am
Awesome metal skills. I agree with mark, easy fix would be to weld "resting" pieces under where the bolts are to support the load, then all your horizontal bolts do is hold it together with no shear force.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 12:51pm
Once it's transported and put in place, why not just weld it all together? Yes, a bit more work. And maybe a logistical challenge finding a welder and an adequate power supply but a lot less stree in the long run!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:50am
I was concerned for the same thing. After it was bolted all together I am going to put blocks where the bolts are on the other side. There are 4 bolts that hold them to each corner then there are 4 others on the cross beam. A total of 8 bolts on each side. 
The guy who welded it for me has been welding for 40 years and said as long as the bolts are tight and the legs are perpendicular to the floor then those bolts wont have that much strain on them. But for safety measures I will be adding support underneath. 
Trying to see what it is going to cost me to get the tank downstairs.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:55am

Plasti - Dip. 

speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 11:45am
Hey what kind of skimmer is that in your pictures?  I bought a tank used and it came with a skimmer that looks identical to yours so i'm wondering what type I have!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic