Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA ALK MAG QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA ALK MAG QUESTION
    Posted: September 30 2013 at 11:17am
Ok trying to get mag levels between 1300-1400. My CA stay stable 450. ALK is finally up to 11 DKH or 5.5 meq/L been working on this for couple weeks. Mag is not going up. It stays 1115 ( i know low) at best can get it to 1200 .

So my question should I make sure that ALK will stablize ( keep ALK within range). Then try to raise Mag. 

Thinking about going to Randy's method using seachem right now. All products are in powder form. Dont really use the Ca additive due salt has high Ca.

Tank is 3g pico w/ 10g sump
Sal 1.024
Ca 450
Alk 5.5 meq/L
mg 1115 
 test taking 9/29/13
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 11:57am
I can understand your concern.
If I were in your shoes, the first question I would be asking myself is "Why?"
Why do I believe I must raise Mg. Is something wrong with the tank? Are coral or Coralline algae doing poorly?

Your original Alk level, which I would assume was at least 8 dKH and probably around 9 dKH (3.2 meq/l) was good.
Second question I would ask myself:  What was the reason for pushing it up to 11 dKH?

My opinion:
Typically, if coral are opening up with Alk 8-12 dKH, Ca 350-500 and Mg 1200-1400, I would say that all is well. We can cause more problems by trying to mess with the chemistry of our aquarium, than by letting it have it's own balance, with supplements to keep up the minimums, of course. Think of your tank as an individual and Alk, Ca and Mg as food. Not every tank needs the same amount of food and too much food can make an individual unhealthy.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 30 2013 at 12:18pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 2:39pm
Just the guy I want to talk. Coral are doing fine. However I have a duncan two of the heads were not opening due low levels of Alk (levels where 5 dkh). Doing fine now all but

I have a chalice or montipora that the flesh has been receding (thought it was the hermits)  and has not really grown but maybe it was the low levels of Alk.This is the reason for trying to raise Mag.It has been putting the flesh back on since the Alk levels are up.

Alk is a little high added a little to much still trying to dial in the dose. So i will let things work themselves out and keep a eye on Alk.

Also wondering if you still have any Utah rock? Would love to talk shop one of these weekends.

Thanks so much for your help.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 3:14pm
Just as an FYI, there are salts on the market that would also keep your mag levels where you want them.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 7:53pm
I try to keep my alk around 9 and calcium around 400.  I have read that you want magnesium to be around 3 times the magnesium.  My magnesium is around 1400.  Magnesium is a buffer to make it so the calcium and alk doesn't bond and precipitate out of the water.  I would be worried about keeping the levels that high that you lose some of them by precipitating.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 7:31am
Ahh, I see. Yes, Alkalinity at 5 dKH was low enough to cause problems. In my early days, around 1996, I allowed Alk to fall slowly over 8 months to 3 dKH. I was experimenting with doing no water changes and I knew nothing about testing for Alk and CaCry (until the end of the experiment Wacko). Those were the days when hobbyists knew very little about Alk and Ca. In my all soft coral tank, pictured below, coral stopped growing. I even traded in my cherished beautiful 4 year old Six-Line Wrasse before I realized he was not the reason for disappearing Hermits. Cry

I'm happy to read that coral are doing better.
Well, 11 dKH is not too high. 16 would be too high.
Just out of curiosity, how many days to raise Alk from 5 to 11?

Aloha,
Mark Hug

75 gal  left side view

Right side

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:45pm
Thanks again to all.
Molli - I've been thinking of upgrading the salt .

Softplan- this was one of the concern to why I was trying to raise the Mag levels. I see some of residue on  the heater

Mark -  Alk I did this over a couple of days (4) . I know that raising the alk to fast can cause problems.Is that where you going? Awesome pictures. Six line I really want one but I'm  trying to be patient. Plus reefon has a bunch right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic