Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4000+ gallon living reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 8:40pm
Aye!

(I also "said" eye but you probably couldn't hear me)

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 9:41pm
I

BTW, i had no idea till now that Jim Loveland was involved in the Living Planet Aquarium. I worked with him and his family about 16 years ago when they were still just a small company. That's neat that he's got the whole thing named after him now. 

Edited by peiji - October 01 2013 at 9:45pm
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:16pm
WHOA!  That's a lot of "I"  "Eyes" and "Ayes"!  Thumbs Up

I am excited to do this thread then.  I will post updates as often as I can, weekly at the least on the progress of this awesome exhibit.  I am a pretty busy person, sadly most of the updates will occur at around midnight when they happen.

This should be fun!  Keep an eye out for future updates.  As of right now, the rock is in Utah, and waiting to be cultured into live rock, many of the systems components have been designed and fabricated, but I don't have pictures with me.

Thanks for following!  I am also more than happy to answer any questions, just post them in the thread.

Edited by m.ash - October 01 2013 at 10:36pm
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by peiji peiji wrote:

I

BTW, i had no idea till now that Jim Loveland was involved in the Living Planet Aquarium. I worked with him and his family about 16 years ago when they were still just a small company. That's neat that he's got the whole thing named after him now. 

Indeed he is!  I have not met Mr. Loveland in person, but I do know that he has done some amazing things in assisting the aquarium with meeting their goal of building a world class facility in Utah.
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

"I" went to this page to learn more but when I clicked on the time lapse video of construction it says, "This video is private."
http://www.thelivingplanet.com/index.php/blog/82-groundbreaking-for-our-new-building

It's amazing how far The Living Planet Aquarium has come since the time when the WMAS held meetings in their interim holding facility at SLCC. We volunteered a lot of hours in those early years.

Smile That was the year the WMAS helped move this 3' female Nurse Shark from the tank of a Provo attorney named Dwight.  I remember the excitement of catching her head in my [sport] fishing net and holding her tail with my right hand to lift her out and place her in the ~48x16 long cooler we had bought specifically for this transport. Below is a pic of her in her new home, a 72"x72"x18" acrylic tank at the college.

I am unsure of the status with that link, the camera itself was mounted above the construction site as the foundation was poured, walls were raised, etc.  I wonder if it was taken down when that was complete.  There are many updates and photos that are posted to the aquariums facebook page, which may be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/thelivingplanetaquarium

Most recently added are pictures of the newest addition, a Loggerhead sea turtle.  You can also see the installation of the 40 foot walk through tunnel that will allow visitors underwater access to the amazing shark exhibit.  I don't know the history of the 2 nurse sharks at the aquarium currently, but I assume that one is the same shark that you shared here, it should be very happy swimming in 300,000 gallons of openness!

Thanks for sharing some history.
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Aye!

(I also "said" eye but you probably couldn't hear me)

I thought I heard something!  LOL
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 12:47am
Gosh!

Sorry everyone!  Since my last post my family has been moving closer to work.  I haven't even had a few minutes to log in to the site.

Be patient for a few more days and the updates will come, I promise!

In the meantime, get geared up for MWRF!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic