Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

150g Reseal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craigory23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150g Reseal
    Posted: October 11 2013 at 4:28am
I bought a 150g tank that leaks out the front on the bottom in hopes of saving some money without knowing what I'm doing.  I was wondering if I need to take the tank down to the individual panes or if I can just trim the caulk inside the tank and reseal it.  Any help or useful links would be appreciated!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 6:40am

Edited by Fatman - November 10 2013 at 10:59pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 7:34am
It depends on the condition of the silicone.

Aloha Craig,

Buying used is an economical way to go, but if you have never done this before, starting out on a 150 gal is a big jump. I've bought and repaired used tanks many times over the years and I'm here, willing to help.

Repair is not as difficult as one may think. It does not require a complete tear down or even complete removal of all silicone. The removal and re-silicone of the inside seam of the affected area is all it takes, but it's a good idea to go a little further and remove the silicone along the entire affected inside edge, one inch from one inside front bottom corner to an inch shy of the other inside front bottom corner. (That is, if the corners are intact.)

Typically the structural seams and corners are intact on leaking tanks, but the silicone in a small area has released. (Sometimes it releases when a person pulls up on the plastic frame instead of lifting from underneath the the tank.) In essence, plugging the area where that hole has developed does the job.

Since this is the first time, if you would like to make sure it's done right, that there is no structural problem, and if you can take the time, please show us a good quality picture of the entire tank front and another of the entire bottom. Also show us close up pics of the worst looking silicone wherever that may be, and another pic at the point of the leak if you have pinpointed where it is by seeing where the water is seeping through. Speaking of that, does it leak only when mostly filled or when there is just an inch of water?

If you would like to send the good quality pics to me I can re-size and post the important ones here. My email is [email protected]

On the other hand, if you call me we may be able walk through this without pics. I know what to look for and can help you decide where to re-seal.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 4:26pm
I think that if the factory silicone failed, why take a chance and replace it while it's easy and not full of water. This is a easy fix but requires a lot of elbow grease. Make sure you use the correct silicone and not use home depot stuff and you get all the bad silicone off before you go and put new silicone on.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 4:41pm
My husband has resealed our tank and honestly, it is a bit of work but it's a great skill to have in this hobby. Make sure you get the right kind of silicon though or you'll kill everything in your tank. If your not sure which one to buy just go to your local LFS, I'm sure they have a supply. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic