Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone explain this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 11:51am
If its a well sealed house, then you're probably correct on the amount of CO2 in there. Get some house plants ;)lol

Edited by phys - November 11 2013 at 11:52am
jrsavs21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsavs21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:22pm
My tank is in my basement and my pH was terrible. I made one of these and now I can keep my pH pretty steady.  I have to change the soda lime around every two weeks when it turns mostly purple and my pH starts to drop.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/57609-easy-way-increase-your-tanks-ph-carbon-dioxide-scrubber.html

I didn't check the local welding supply stores, but I got a 5 gallon bucket online for $85.

I wasn't able to get my pH over 8 without kalkwasser.   I am not using kalkwasser anymore and with this I am pretty steady at 8.2-8.3.

Edited by jrsavs21 - November 11 2013 at 12:27pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:50pm
That's cool, but still, to save some hassle and have something you would never have to worry about or maintain, I'd seek a way to draw some oxygen into the skimmer or into the room. More fresh oxygen in the whole house could help in many ways.

It requires maintenance but does your family like live plants? Tropical plants grow well in aquarium rooms because of the humidity and warmth. As I recall that room has a nice large window too. Smile

In our fish room we grow Orchid, as well as the tropical plants pictured below.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Bromeliad

Croton

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 1:20pm
I actually do love to keep exotic tropical plants but my family isn't as excited about it. Before I had a tank I had over 100 carnivorous plants, bromeliads, and orchids.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 4:50pm
Wow, that's a lot of plants and a lot of O2.
I discovered that Pineapple is a Bromeliad!
I'm thinking of Apple Banana Trees in that front room. Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:54am
I can't find very many photos but here are a few of my old collection...

Heliamphora Collection

Heliamphora Sarracenioides

Heliamphora Heterodoxa

Heliamphora Nutans

Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Minor

Brocchinia Reducta

Nepenthes Terrarium

Anyways, back on topic, after adding a jebao wp25 (awesome little pump!) my ph has gone up from 7.5 to 7.7 with the added gas exchange. That's as high as I can get it with airstones, extra skimming, powerheads pointed at the surface, ect. So I think I'm going to try finding some soda lime and making a CO2 scrubber.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 7:04pm
Just an update, after adding the BRS air filter with CO2 absorbent my ph has come up by 0.2 and with kalkwasser added it's now up by 0.4ish. Ph is now sitting right around 8.0 although the media in the air filter is being exhausted pretty quickly now (less than a week and a quarter of it is purple).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic